none
Is it possible to support AHCI and RAID in the same image? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we are always use AHCI for accessing SATA devices. In a new project RAID has become a more interesting thing.

I added the RAID drivers using "PNPUTIL -i -a" with all INFs of the Intel RST package while system is running in AHCI mode. Then I tried to switch to RAID (1) mode, which can be done in BIOS setup, but the system crashed during startup with my beloved INCACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD (0x7B). There was also an option in BIOS that another PNPID is reported in RAID mode, but the system crashed anyhow.

Now I am asking myself if something is possible in general - adding drivers for all controllers in scope and Windows will choose the right one when it is starting? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks and best regards,
    Willi K.

Friday, August 4, 2017 1:32 PM

All replies

• you can only install with the bios sets to RAID

you can access to raid but in reverse mode:

enable raid into the bios,

add the driver into IMAGE ( or winpe for boot the setup )

install the OS

waiting a mirror of disk.

restart the PC / BIOS and select ACHI.

• Marked as answer by Willi K Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Willi K Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:01 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Hi zingaro1972,

I tried this in a similar way (loaded RAID drivers in the target drive section during manual setup from Windows Setup Media). But after I changed to AHCI in BIOS, the system crashed during startup. OK, I did it on Windows 10 IoT, is it different in WES7?

Well, I will give it another try and let you know.

Monday, August 7, 2017 2:59 PM
  • I tried again with building a new WES7 image while adding the AHCI/RAID drivers manually in IBW-Setup, and system was configured for RAID during setup. After setup has completed, I was able to switch between AHCI and RAID (via BIOS setup) without any problems - presuming disks are in not under rebuild when operating as RAID system.
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:10 AM