Migration or merge two Active Directory servers & members into one - located seperately with same .local AD server names RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following two separate setups:

In one geo location (X) I have a Server 2012 Active Directory Server (using Server 2012 Essentials) as the AD server on a physical computer. It serves a small Systems Center 2012 SP1 lab. This computer needs to remain active and is the oldest hardware and may eventually fail or be retired.

This location X has two other Systems Center 2012 SP1 hardware servers (non-HA, non-redundant) both hardware based VMM and Hyper-V servers acting as the host for SCCM, SCOM, WSUS (and related SQL) virtualized 2008, 2008 r2 etc. partners. One Hyper-V host is 2012 and the other a 2012 r2 Hyper-V Host. There are other virtual client servers and Win 8.x members. The domain is nameX.local on a 192.xxx.0.1 local router based DHCP network and this AD server uses a DDNS service nameX.dynamic.com or similar 3rd party subscription. The dynamic client system runs on the AD server to refresh the dynamic system. Cable internet connected by company A.

In a second geo location (Y) I have a Server 2012 r2 Active Directory Server (using Server 2012 Essentials) as the AD server on a new physical computer. It serves only itself so far. The domain is nameX.local as well but on a 192.xxx.1.1 local router based DHCP network and this AD server uses a different DDNS service nameZ.dynamic.com from the same 3rd party subscription. The dynamic client system runs on the AD server to refresh the dynamic system. Cable internet company B connected.

Main Objective:

I want to have a single Active Directory Server 2012 r2 ( the second location) as the new Master using the new server and leave the older 2012 Essentials AD server as a member. I hope to have the two geo locations connected and the machines as is as far as location and then add the system center group to the second location's AD server 2012 r2 Essentials. There are independent clients using workgroup nameX and they all share common admin credential names and passwords otherwise and connect well moving between geo locations.

One of the dynamic DNS names can be abandoned if need be and the local subnet can be same setup - but I am unsure if the entire two geo locations can be merged - especially with two routers on two separate cable network host companies working together or independently.

Secondary objective to update to System Center 2012 r2 for members.

Anyone have any good migration info that I can use to attempt this or am I doomed to completely abandon and restart from scratch in one or both locations? Am I trying to attempt too much?

Thanks for any info and please excuse this post if it is in the wrong forum location.

Michael

Michael

Monday, February 23, 2015 9:55 PM