none
Unable to update Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter VMs RRS feed

• Question

I have several Azure Windows 2012 R2 datacenter VMs that fail to install Windows updates.

The updates install then ask to reboot. It spends 30 - 40 minutes trying to apply the updates then uninstalls them all and reboots again. In my case the computer boots does the applying updates do not turn off message and then after counting to about 80% it says update failed and reboots again. When I look at the updates no updates have been applied and the update history shows 32 updates failed. It has been doing this daily for several months. The list of failed updates is dozens of pages of the same updates failing over and over  

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:18 PM

All replies

• The machines are from the windows gallery. They are the Windows 2012 R2 datacenter and are based on a A2 machine with no extra drives. They have SQL Express 2012 and a .Net application that uses the SQL server to persist less than 1GB of data. They were created back in Feb of 2015.

Looking at the patch history there were some patches that failed and some that applied. I had it set to automatically apply so I did not actually check until a couple of weeks ago when one machine failed so bad it would no longer boot.

Bill Walter Optimal4 Software LLC

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:05 PM
  • These are the failed patches

it looks like if I use the snipping took to show the failed patch list that the screen clip get rejected.

• Edited by wqwalter Friday, July 22, 2016 5:10 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 5:08 PM
  • This failure to patch seem to be replicated in a number of my VM machines based on the preconfigured Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter image. They were all created back in Feb of 2015. One of the machines finally would no longer boot far enough to connect with RDP. I went through all the outlined steps of getting access including the remote rest. changing the password but I was not getting to the password step anyway. I change the machine size. I save the VHD and tried to build a different machine using that VHD and could not get it to boot. I got into Azure based on the promise that I would be doing less IT support but it seems like it may actually be more. I had the patching set to automatic and did not even check for over a year. When I finally checked I found most patched had failed and were being reapplied daily and failing each time.

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Greetings from Microsoft Azure.

Since you say that the updates are not getting installed on the Windows VM, please look into the below link which talks about the best practices:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-windows-guidance-compute-single-vm/

Also, please check the below links which refers to security center and configuring group policy settings:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/security-center-get-started/#use-security-center

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn595129.aspx

Please let me know if the above mentioned settings are made in your VM and if the updates are still failing to proceed helping with your query.

Regards,

Sapna Girish

Sapna G

Saturday, July 23, 2016 12:08 PM
  • The links you provide have great information on configuration best practices and configuration for getting windows updates automatically. My problem is that I am getting over 30 updates every day, they are installing, the Azure VM reboots and tries to finish the installation and fails and rolls back all the updates and boots again giving a report that 32 updates failed to install. This process repeats almost every day on some of my virtual machines in Azure.

I assume the security updates are important or Microsoft would not provide them. I am just trying to determine why then are not installing and to get them installed and not have this situation occur again next month when new updates come out.

Bill Walter

Bill Walter Optimal Answers LLC

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Please run the fix from the KB in the below link and let me know if it helps:

Also, please find another link for the best practices on software updates:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-security-best-practices-software-updates-iaas/

Regards,

Sapna Girish

Sapna G

Saturday, August 6, 2016 1:47 PM