Win 8 Metro UI Design Guidelines...

General discussion

• Hi,
        I have a problem on following the design guidelines. I have a client requirement. Scenario is like this that we have four section in our application A, B, C, D. According to metro ui pattern we have to show at-least 3-4 items of each group in our main page. But my client wants that we should use one page for one section. Means not to show some items of each section in same main page in the application. We have to create 4 different pages for all the section. Each section will have 3 buttons for navigate to other sections. We we will do on the full view mode. But client does not want to use
    this type of ui pattern showing  all 4 sections 3-4 items in main page. Which is I think against of microsoft design guidelines. Can you tell me the answer what should I have to use?. Will microsoft reject this ui?

Dinesh Rawat

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Client is always right. And you can break the rules.

There is a cool session by Laurent Bugnion in which he tells how they had to break metro design guideline in order to satisfy customer needs.

http://vimeo.com/43548883

He also mentioned that you can step away from Metro design principles a little and no one call the police :)

Nevertheless, the only way to do what you want is to persuade him that you have better solution, but seems like you don't have better idea. And it's not 100% clear what is your use case. Maybe some kind of sketch or picture can help us to understand what you mean.

Maybe you can use flipview instead of gridview.

Best Regards, Vitaliy

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:34 PM