Can someone please answer - Movie Maker RRS feed

• Question

• Until recently I have been able to use Movie Maker no problems, now since Updates with regards to my XP - I can no longer use.

I have checked and have Network 3 service Pk 2 version 3.2. 30729 - also 3.5 SP1 installed also Network 1 &2 installed - Net Framework 2 service Pk1 all installed and updated -
     automatically updated as recommended.
    But for some reason I can longer use Movie Maker, it opens, then I get error message -  I was advised to go into control panel, and repair all the installations have tried doing this but I get the following message when trying to repair the Network frame for 2 & 3. etc

1)    try finding "netfx20a_x86.msi"      Tried downloading this from Microsoft - but it tells me that I am updated and no need to download????

2)  the other message on trying to repair any of the above is  try using resource path " C:/322eaeec 4417353141a89b/dotnetfxx20/

Have tried also contacting microsoft but their telephone helpline no: not available and they don't like answering email either!

Can anyone tell me in layman terms what these might mean or shall I just give up trying to get Movie Maker to work - Also you cannot delete Movie maker, I have tried this and reinstall it, but no joy there, can do neither uninstall or reinstall.

Monday, October 26, 2009 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi 4333sotos,

Thank you for your reply. I can understand your favor on Movie Maker. I hope that I can help you on your issue. :)

It seems that .NET Frameworks are installed successfully on your machine, right? If yes, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation.

For your concern, based on your description, it sounds as Movie Maker crashed when you opened it. Frankly speaking, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. I'm not quite familiar with Movie Maker in XP. I think that you might post your issue on Windows XP forum to have a try.

Hope this can help you! If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:21 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:27 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi 4333sotos,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's the exact error message when you opened Movie Maker?

Based on your description, it seems that .NET Framework 2.0 seems to be corrupted on your XP.

For further troubleshooting, could you please try the following steps?
    - Use Cleanup Tool to remove .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order
    - Download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) which will install .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1
    - Try Verification tool to double-check that all .NET Framework files are correctly installed on your machine

If all the .NET Frameworks can be verified, we can isolated the possible cause of corrupted .NET Frameworks. I think that the better consulting place should be Movie Maker forums. You will get more useful help there.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for that - I have actually tried the Movie Maker Forum and have tried several suggestions but with no luck .

The Message I get when Movie maker opens is error, Dr Watson (which you cannot remove - as it seems to be a part of XP updates) have experienced has encountered a problem and needs to close  or Windows Movie maker needs to close....
    Then when trying to close a dialog box pops up to say "program not responding press End now"

I have repaired and checked all the updates and scanned no problems have shown up -  I think it's a problem with Microsoft themselves

Thank you for taking time to reply to me - I do have Intervideo installed and also recently a friend recommended Picasa 3  so will maybe just give up on movie maker.   I cannot even download their Movie maker from Microsoft, because the newer version is only for XP vista and later.

But MMaker was so easy to use.

Thanks & best wishes   Roz
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hi 4333sotos,

Thank you for your reply. I can understand your favor on Movie Maker. I hope that I can help you on your issue. :)

It seems that .NET Frameworks are installed successfully on your machine, right? If yes, we can isolate the cause of corrupted .NET Framework installation.

For your concern, based on your description, it sounds as Movie Maker crashed when you opened it. Frankly speaking, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. I'm not quite familiar with Movie Maker in XP. I think that you might post your issue on Windows XP forum to have a try.

Hope this can help you! If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:21 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:27 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:21 AM