none
Problem accessing Windows service listening socket

Question

• I have created an Azure SSIS-IR with a custom setup that installs our product - which runs as a Windows service and listens for connections on port 52000.

After installing the product, my main.cmd script does a "net start" to list the running Windows services, and I can see our product's service in the list, so I know it is start and must have successfully created a listening socket.

My main.cmd script then does a "netstat -a" to list all the active and listening sockets, but there is no mention of 52000, or any 127.0.0.1 sockets.

Sure enough, when I run an SSIS package that attempts to connect to the service, it fails to connect.

What am I missing?

Friday, August 31, 2018 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you manually do a net start of your product and see if it outputs any errors?  Does your product have a log that it writes to?  

Friday, August 31, 2018 6:46 PM
  • My bad, I was assuming that because the service was started it must be listening on the socket.

What I was forgetting is that the service merely starts another process that does all the work. This second process was failing to start because .NET 2.0 wasn't available. I added the .NET 3.5 installer to main.cmd and all is well.

This question can be deleted.
    Monday, September 3, 2018 2:49 PM
  • Thanks, this steered me to the answer. There should be a log file, but I wasn't getting one because the second process wasn't even starting.
    Monday, September 3, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Glad to help :)
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:41 PM