SAN replication instead of mirroring RRS feed

• Question

•  

Our company has two SAN's in different geographic regions and would like to use the built in geo replication already possible with this hardware.  My question is can SQL Server utilize this or would mirroring need to be used instead of the replication from the SAN?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:44 AM

All replies

• Welcome to the forum.  We also mirror our san across several campuses and the process is transparent to sql.  Depending on the hardware and the functionality of the san mirroring this can also be used as redundancy and possibly need no further configuration throuugh sql server.  Again this is going to vary greatly depending on the san, but the vendor will most likely have documentation referencing this.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:39 PM
  • WEll u actually cannot compare replication to Mirroring.

Both have different advantages and disadvantages.  It depends on what kind of a high availability solution would you need.

Considering your scenario if it is only one Database then i would go for Mirroring else i would prefer Replication.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Hi Krishna,

Can you please briefly let me know what is difference between SAN replication and Database Mirroring? How it should benifit the customer and what could be overhead risk?

Manu ------- Please click the Mark as Answer if my post solves your issue.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hmmm  they are different technology from different vendors... SAN replication  is  for the entire server (I do not know perhaps it is possible to replicate on the database level) but DM is a feature for db only, moreover a mirroring db is in READ-ONLY state. 

http://www.emcstorageinfo.com/2008/05/differences-between-snapview-clone.html

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP,http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:26 AM
  • hi,

SAN replication :- The shared drive/San Drive can be replicated to a DR(Disaster Recovery Site) site. The data is in a read only mode and can be changed to r/w mode if any disaster happenes to the Production database server. The data are synchronized between DR site and Production site. Check the terms Metro Mirror, Global Mirror and PPRC .

Database Mirroring :- The copy of the production database can be kept in another server with standby/restore mode. if any disaster happens then we can make the mirrored server to principal server by using restore database with recovery.  

Sajith.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:28 AM