none
Registering Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I recently downloaded Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and I was trying to Register it as is recommended.  I went to the "Help" screen and selected "Register Product" which brought up a registration screen with two links, one about "Registration Benefits"   and one about "Register now".   The link for the Register now seems to be in error.  I tried to write out the link but this textbox would not accept it.  When I click on the link get to a Microsoft Developer Network page that says: "We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

What do I need to do if I would like to play around with Visual Basic for more than a month?  Is there something different I can download?  Thanks!

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Your best option is discard the idea of registering and instead download Visual Studio 2019 community edition which is free  https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/

Otherwise call Microsoft to register which my guess is counter-productive as there are no pages to register VS2008 Express. Visual Studio 2019 community edition is the newest express edition which can perform what VS2008 did.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by Archie Morgan Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:19 PM
  • I recently downloaded Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and I was trying to Register it   The link for the Register now seems to be in error.   When I click on the link get to a Microsoft Developer Network page that says: "We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

What do I need to do if I would like to play around with Visual Basic for more than a month?  Is there something different I can download? 

As others have suggested. your best bet is to get VS 2019 Community Edition as
    it's free and up to date with the most recent features, etc. If for some
    reason you still feel a need to use version 2008, you can download Visual
    Studio Express 2008 as an ISO file.

You can install one or more of the Express Editions (C++, C#, VB) from the CD 
    you burn from the ISO image file, and they do not need to be registered. Only 
    the online installs needed registration.

The offline installer for the Visual Studio 2008 Express products will allow 
    installation from a CD/DVD burnt from an ISO image file. So no Internet 
    connection was/is needed for the install. Being intended for use on PCs that 
    didn't/don't have an Internet connection, no subsequent registration was/is needed.

VS 2008 ISO

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/5/8B5804AD-4990-40D0-A6AA-CE894CBBB3DC/VS2008ExpressENUX1397868.iso

VS 2008 with SP1 ISO

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/8/E/E8EEB394-7F42-4963-A2D8-29559B738298/VS2008ExpressWithSP1ENUX1504728.iso

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Your best option is discard the idea of registering and instead download Visual Studio 2019 community edition which is free  https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/

Otherwise call Microsoft to register which my guess is counter-productive as there are no pages to register VS2008 Express. Visual Studio 2019 community edition is the newest express edition which can perform what VS2008 did.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:19 PM
  • I recently downloaded Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and I was trying to Register it   The link for the Register now seems to be in error.   When I click on the link get to a Microsoft Developer Network page that says: "We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

What do I need to do if I would like to play around with Visual Basic for more than a month?  Is there something different I can download? 

As others have suggested. your best bet is to get VS 2019 Community Edition as
    it's free and up to date with the most recent features, etc. If for some
    reason you still feel a need to use version 2008, you can download Visual
    Studio Express 2008 as an ISO file.

You can install one or more of the Express Editions (C++, C#, VB) from the CD 
    you burn from the ISO image file, and they do not need to be registered. Only 
    the online installs needed registration.

The offline installer for the Visual Studio 2008 Express products will allow 
    installation from a CD/DVD burnt from an ISO image file. So no Internet 
    connection was/is needed for the install. Being intended for use on PCs that 
    didn't/don't have an Internet connection, no subsequent registration was/is needed.

VS 2008 ISO

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/5/8B5804AD-4990-40D0-A6AA-CE894CBBB3DC/VS2008ExpressENUX1397868.iso

VS 2008 with SP1 ISO

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/8/E/E8EEB394-7F42-4963-A2D8-29559B738298/VS2008ExpressWithSP1ENUX1504728.iso

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:00 AM
  • Thanks to both of you for recommending Visual Studio 2019.  As it turns out I already had it installed and running but when I looked at "About Visual Studio"  "License status" it said "License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)  Your evaluation period will end on Wednesday, July 31, 2019".  You say it is free but is it free for just 30 days or for longer?  I am not complaining but I am just an old retired guy who has written quite a bit of Visual Basic code with my former employer and I am interested in continuing to play around with it in my retirement.  I would rather not have to pay the $700 plus to continue.  Thanks.
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:32 PM
  • when I looked at "About Visual Studio"  "License status" it said "License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)  Your evaluation period will end on Wednesday, July 31, 2019".  You say it is free but is it free for just 30 days or for longer? .

Can you show a pic of that?

Make sure you have installed the Community (Free) Edition. If you installed
    a trial version of one of the commercial editions then payment is required.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Above is an image snipped from the screen shortly after I read you message.  Then I uninstalled visual studio community 2019 and reinstalled it.  Again, I captured an image (the second one).  Should it be saying 30 day trial?  Thanks!  I just tried to submit but got a message that the body text cannot contain links or images.  I had to delete them to be able to send this message.  How can I send you the images?

Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:19 PM
  •   Should it be saying 30 day trial?  Thanks!  I just tried to submit but got a message that the body text cannot contain links or images.  I had to delete them to be able to send this message.  How can I send you the images?

>Should it be saying 30 day trial? 

No.

Does the About screen actually *say* "Community"? Here's an example from 2017"

The "Licence status" also should say "Community":

>How can I send you the images?

You include images in posts by using the button on the forum editor menu bar:

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:47 PM
  • The upper left side of the screen says Personalization Account and then gives my name and email address etc.  The upper right side in bold letters says Visual Studio.  Right below that it says in smaller font Community 2019.  Then below that it says License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)  Your evaluation period will end on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.  There is more on the screen but this is the important stuff.  I can insert images but when I do and I try to submit I get an error message that says body text cannot contain image or links until we are able to verify your account.  Also every time I try to hit the return key, I get an error message that says error has occurred on the script on this page.  Thanks for your support!

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:29 PM
  • Read the suggestions in this thread:

Is Visual Studio Community a 30 day trial?
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43390466/is-visual-studio-community-a-30-day-trial

As to posting images, your account will be validated automatically after you
    have made several posts. It's delayed as part of a process to prevent spamming.

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:42 PM
  • If you continue to have issues with this, start a thread in the following forum:

Visual Studio Setup and Installation
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup&filter=alllanguages

- Wayne

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:51 PM
  • This is an attempt to post the screen image of the registration screen for Visual Studio Community 2019.  I replied to the link you sent to request verification of my account but it didn't allow me to send my image yet.  I will try a new thread on the other link that you sent me.  Again, thanks for your support!

Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:31 PM