none
How to publish an Office App to internal (SharePoint) Apps Catalog? RRS feed

• Question

• We are working on couple of Agaves and now want to publish them to internal catalog. We have done the following using SP 2013 public preview:

•        Created “App Catalog” using Central Administration > Apps > Manage Apps
      •        Now we uploaded app to “Apps for Office” 

1. It does not update any metadata in the list and it does show up in Word.
    2. We tried updating metadata ourselves using code. After that app started coming in Word but on insertion it says configuration is wrong.

We then tried using “Develop Site” template in SP 2013.

1. I uploaded app to “Apps in testing”.
    2. It asked for a site for deployment, which I gave as “developer site” only.
    3. It got uploaded and had all metadata.
    4. But, it had deployment error.
    5. On checking the ULS logs it says - Cannot remove Agave Manifest, because the Office Extension Catalog does not exist on site '24c9bf7f-9a6d-4256-b6a0-b6243375c1cd'.
    6. We then tried deploying app to App catalog site but it said that it will only deploy to “developer site”
    7. I could not find “office extension catalog”

Please help us with correct method to publish app to internal catalog or workaround.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Alok,

I suepect you didn't follow correct process while publish apps. General steps:

• Package apps for Office in Solution Explorer.
      • Publish app for Office. Upload the XML manifest in this step. Do not try to modify the manifest manually please. The metadata like app version, name and Guid are in the manifest.
      • Publish the web application.

Before the procedure, we should create app catalog on SharePoint. I noticed that you have done that.

If you could not figure out, please let me know which file did you upload to app catalog at step 2.

Hope this gets you started.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, September 28, 2012 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Alok,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

Have you review the topic Deploying and installing apps for SharePoint: methods and options? And you mentioned that you have error of deployment. Would you please show more details about that error?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Hi Tom, The link is for publishing apps for SharePoint. We are trying to publish apps for Office to internal catalog. I guess process will be same. We tried two methods:

1. Uploading app to "Office Apps" catalog by navigating Central Administration > Apps > Manage Apps. When we do so, app gets uploaded by list does not pull app data from app and populate the list item. Then we tried updating meta data using code. After this, apps gets visible in office but on inserting the app to office, error comes up - "App is not configured properly"

2. Uploading app to "Apps for testing" under a site collection created on "developer site" template. App gets uploaded and metadata is populated in list but there is a error in "installation". it says "the Office Extension Catalog does not exist".

I am using CU 2 for Office 2013 Server beta.

Thank you,

Alok Gupta

• Edited by Alok K Gupta Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi Alok,

I suepect you didn't follow correct process while publish apps. General steps:

• Package apps for Office in Solution Explorer.
      • Publish app for Office. Upload the XML manifest in this step. Do not try to modify the manifest manually please. The metadata like app version, name and Guid are in the manifest.
      • Publish the web application.

Before the procedure, we should create app catalog on SharePoint. I noticed that you have done that.

If you could not figure out, please let me know which file did you upload to app catalog at step 2.

Hope this gets you started.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, September 28, 2012 6:33 AM