TFS and FrontPage Server Extensions RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start by describing our development landscape.

• One Windows Server 2003 running TFS.
    • One Windows Server 2003 setup as a common ASP testing machine.
    • Obviously each developer has a Windows XP or Vista machine for development and debugging. 

I recently setup the TFS server machine and I'm starting to transition our source control from VSS to TFS.  Generally how we work is we develop the apps on our local machines.  Then we upload our changes to VSS.  Then we open the corresponding project on the server, perform a get from VSS and recompile for testing.  This all done from our development machines.  The VS2005 development environment is not installed on the testing machine.  Only the remote debugger piece. 

I recently had to make some changes to a project that was under VSS control.  I moved it to TFS source control and everything was working fine.  Now it's time to move it over the the testing machine, and that's where the wheels fall off.  VS2005 can't connect to the project because it's not a FrontPage Extensions web site, but at the same time if I make it one I can't work with it in TFS because it doesn't like the fact that it's a FrontPage Ext web site. 

At this point I throw up my hands and say "You've got to be kidding me?"  This is worse the the age old argument...which came first the chicken or the egg? 

How do you run a project on a server that needs FrontPage Ext and have it be under the control of TFS?  We can not be the only shop in this perdicament.  I would think that this would be a pretty common setup.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You ask a valid question, but it doesn't have anything to do with TFS (hopefully). It's VS 2005 who uses FrontPage Server Extensions to connect to a Web project. And, perhaps, while your dev workstations have FPE properly configured, this is just not the case on the test machine. Run inetmgr.exe on the test machine, expand the default Web site, then right-click on your project's Web application and choose All Tasks->Configure Server Extensions. Let's see if it helps. Also, open the project file for your Web project in Notepad, locate the project URL and make sure it points to localhost (thus, you will be able to open the project locally on any machine). Finally, make sure you use the "Open from Source Control" command in VS 2005 on the test machine.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:32 PM