KPI on few numbers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using PowerPivot in Excel 2013 and I can only use Power View not excel sheets

I have a field in the Fact table that has only the values of

0(some case blank) , 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

I want to show the fact with something like KPI or conditional formatting

how can I do that? each number must be in a different color, like KPI or conditional formatting, it must be in PowerView only.

I need the DAX or what ever settings is required

thanks

Sincerely Nik -- Please kindly mark the post(s) that answered your question and/or vote for the post(s).

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:26 PM

Answers

• I assume you use Power View in Excel 2013, not the new HTML5 visuals? There no such thing as conditional formatting in Power View, and the only way to accomplish something like this is through KPIs. You can define a KPI in Power Pivot using several icons, there are a few KPI visuals that support a 5-value scale. These don't use colors, however. I'm not sure this will help you, though; there used to be some quirks to using KPIs in Power View (haven't checked lately), like Power View ignoring the KPI setting and always showing the default (3-value scale) icons.

If you are able to use charts instead, you could have a table in your model with the five values, use that column as legend on a chart, and create a measure that for each value, only shows the results for that value. Doing this, you would end up with a chart with five different colors. A stacked bar chart with your fact on the axis might be good enough.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I assume you use Power View in Excel 2013, not the new HTML5 visuals? There no such thing as conditional formatting in Power View, and the only way to accomplish something like this is through KPIs. You can define a KPI in Power Pivot using several icons, there are a few KPI visuals that support a 5-value scale. These don't use colors, however. I'm not sure this will help you, though; there used to be some quirks to using KPIs in Power View (haven't checked lately), like Power View ignoring the KPI setting and always showing the default (3-value scale) icons.

If you are able to use charts instead, you could have a table in your model with the five values, use that column as legend on a chart, and create a measure that for each value, only shows the results for that value. Doing this, you would end up with a chart with five different colors. A stacked bar chart with your fact on the axis might be good enough.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the answer, yes I am using Excel 2013 Powerpivot , can you provide some references for your answer.

anything I am not saying KPI is the right answer but my point is that anything that will help

the issues is that I can only DAX ,

and my other question is how do they do that in SQL Tabular?

Thanks

Sincerely Nik -- Please kindly mark the post(s) that answered your question and/or vote for the post(s).

Thursday, July 7, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Nik, have you made any progress with this?

You can send a Frown to the Power Pivot team if you run into any more troubles. Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, October 30, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Thanks Ed

No , we just changed the plan but I am still interested to know how

Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:37 PM