none
IT SOS - Powershell error during new site deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

I am new to SharePoint (any version) and have built a new 2013 infrastructure for a customer. It consists of 2 x SharePoint Application Servers and 3 x SharePoint Web Front End Servers. The customer has had a third party develop a new application to be deployed onto the new infrastructure, but they have thrown it over the fence and stopped responding to e-mails. So I have the task of deploying the application which is mostly going ok for now but I have ran into an error that I am hoping is a simple fix. So apologies if I get some terminology wrong or sound like I don't know what I am doing, its because I don't.

The script I am running is supposed to do the following:-

Create a new Site Collection

Activate web application level features

Deploy pages with a number of web parts in place

Create SharePoint Permissions

Create SharePoint Groups

I think most of it works except for the web part and page setup section. The error I see near the end of the script reports:-

"You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

$XTR = New-Object System.Xml.XmlTextReader($webPartDefinition.File.OpenBinaryStream())"

I don't know what an expression is, but am assuming it is either "$XTR" or "$webPartDefinition".

The section in the code looks like this:-

foreach($xWebPart in $xPage.WebParts.ChildNodes)
                    {
                        $wpCatalog = $site.GetCatalog([Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListTemplateType]::WebPartCatalog)
                        $webPartDefinition = $wpCatalog.GetItems() | Where-Object{$_.Name -eq $xWebPart.Name}

$XTR = New-Object System.Xml.XmlTextReader($webPartDefinition.File.OpenBinaryStream())

$wp = $wpm.ImportWebPart($XTR, [ref] $err)             
                        $wpm.AddWebPart($wp,$xWebPart.Zone, $xWebPart.Index)  
                    }

After the script has exited by doing an IIS Reset, If I check the page it doesn't look like what it is supposed to look like.

Does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem. I was thinking it was related to "System.Xml.XmlTextReader" and that I am missing a software component to use that command.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

If any more information is required I will do my best to get that.

Regards,

David

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi 2000DXP,

Please check if the webPartDefinition is valid, generally, it is the web part xml code, it will contain all web part definition and properties. You can use Write-Host command to output it to check the detailed value.

Also, please check the PowerShell demo below to add web part to a page:

Add WebPart to Page using PowerShell

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hello, hope you are well.

Thanks very much for the advice.

I am on leave this week but will try out your suggestions when I am back.

Thanks again,

Dave

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi 2000DXP,

Will wait for your updates.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:32 AM
  • Hi Jerry, hope you are well.

Thanks for the advice you sent me, I have looked at the sample scripts that you referred to and I can see very similar bits of code that is in the script that I have been given. But the script that I am running has a more complexity that I am just not sure exactly what I am looking for to troubleshoot it.

I have tried running the "write-host" command against the

$webPartDefinition

and it returns nothing. But that command is actually part of a loop. So really the problem I have is my lack of SharePoint experience and PowerShell scripts. It may be that it should return a blank.

I am hoping the company who wrote and provided the script will respond soon as I am getting nowhere fast with it.

Regards,

Dave

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:28 PM