none
Dashboard charting controls have regressed... RRS feed

• Question

• Some time back i created a dashboard in Azure with a dashboard tile that I believe was called an "Unconfigured Chart" that looks like this...

Now there doesn't seem to be any way of recreating this chart.  You need to place each graph in a separate tile...

As you can see this is a lot less space efficient.  Information that use to all fit on one page now scrolls across many.  Recently some of these old charts have stopped functioning on some of my dashboards, briefly displaying a message that the chart no longer functions as it is an older version.

It seems like the motivations for changes that have been made to Application Insights were to allow greater flexibility into the type of queries you can perform, but it seems to have come at the expense of inferior experience when viewing output of these queries. 

I have to say I think the vast majority of Azure Developers out there haven't bothered doing much with the log analytics query language.  I would say the vast majority of us have no desire to do anything more complicated than see graphs of very simple metrics... like Memory, CPU Usage, Request Counts, Exception Counts and really had no need of a complex query language to support this. 

Am I mistaken? Is there a means to create superior space efficient charts similar or better than the ones at the top, or has the Azure Application Insights team as the germans would say made an Verschlimmbesserung of Azure Dashboards?

Mick Lang

• Edited by Mick Lang Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:40 AM

All replies

• Thank you for your feedback, Mick!

There were some improvements with the new Application Insights dashboard experience including greatly increased overall performance and one-click access to popular features like Search and Analytics.

As a quick aside before we address the heart of your feedback, you can change the tile size to something other than the default drop down options by dragging on the corner in the bottom right while in edit mode.  While not the original dashboard you posted above, hopefully something like this would be an improvement on the default tiles in your screenshot.

As someone who personally prefers dense, customized data, I really like the original dashboard that you posted.  It can be difficult to weigh the pros and cons of different approaches (especially when personal preference is involved) and we rely on user feedback to help make these decisions.  By using Azure feedback, you can get your suggestion in front of the product group.  I can post this on your behalf, or you can post the suggestion yourself if you would like to be able to track updates.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-azure-monitor-application-insights

Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:37 AM