Disk or network error after moving my datasource to a network share RRS feed

• Question

• User-1455020328 posted

I am building my first asp.net web application. I've installed VB.net V2k3 Standard edition on my laptop. Created a web application using an Access DB which was stored with my project "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Projectname" Now that my project is complete I want to move the datasource to a share on our intranet server. I created the share and gave full NTFS permissions to "everyone", then I move the database over, changed my connection string, and got this error....

Disk or network error.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Disk or network error.

Source Error:

Line 102:        'Populate a dataset and close the connection
    Line 103:        Dim objDS As New DataSet
    Line 104:        objDA.Fill(objDS)
    Line 105:        objConn.Close()
    Line 106:

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Proposal_List\Pnumberlist.aspx.vb    Line: 104

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Disk or network error.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider()
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection, ConnectionState& originalState)
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
       Proposal_List.Pnumberlist.BindData() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Proposal_List\Pnumberlist.aspx.vb:104
       Proposal_List.Pnumberlist.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Proposal_List\Pnumberlist.aspx.vb:83
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

If I change the connection string back (pointing local) it works great. I am assuming it is a permissions issue, but I have exausted my limited knowledge. Any suggestions?

TIA

Eugh

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:22 PM

All replies

• User-1327309881 posted

In the web.config file try adding between the <system.web> tags

<identity impersonate="true" username="user" password="password" />

Replace user and password  with your user details. Had a similar problem and this worked for me.

Tim

Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:28 PM