none
Bug with Vista and InkAnalyzer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

this is the real Problem of the thread I posted some hours ago. I had problems with painting ink into a Bitmap - I could'nt see any ink. But it was no problem of the painting-prodecure itself - there really was no ink. ;)

Before my program draws the ink into the Bitmap it reads the RecognizedString from the used InkAnalyzer. And since Windows Vista this InkAnalyzer works abnormal - it deletes every stroke out of the InkOverlay-Object whenever I call the GetRecognizedString-Method of the InkAnalyzer. This happened not when running under Windows XP.

Is this a known bug? Or is it a feature? ;) Well, no. I guess it's a bug. Is there any workaround beside not using this method anymore? Will there be an update to the InkAnalyzer?

I have the following versions installed:
    Tablet SDK 1.7.2600.2180
    TPC InkAnalysis Core 1.7.6223.0
    TPC InkAnalysis Managed Library 1.7.6223.0

Thanks for any comment!

Sincerely

TopperDEL

Thursday, December 7, 2006 1:00 PM

Answers

• After inspecting and debugging the app code, we found that that it was the app itself that deleted the strokes from the InkOverlay - not the call to InkAnalyzer.GetRecognizedString().

Thanks, Stefan Wick

Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi TopperDEL:

I talked to one of the developers on the InkAnalyzer team and this is what he had to say:

That is very strange. We never call delete for strokes on the ink object so I really do not see why stroke would be deleted from his inkoverlay. We have not see anything like this internally. Does this problem happen if he comments out the call the GetRecognizedString?

Could you try commenting out the call to GetRecognizedString and let me know what happens?

Thanks,

- Mark Hopkins (MSFT)

Thursday, December 7, 2006 6:55 PM
  • Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your answer!

I already commented the GetRocgnizedString-Method out - and it works again. So it definitly removes the strokes out from the InkOverlay when calling GetRecognizedString - but only in that specific location. When called in another function it works as expected.

I think it happens because of some threading-issues, because this is the only thing that is different from the calls to getRecognizedStrings that work.

I'll check it out again tomorrow. Maybe I can find more information that helps you finding the problem.

My application definitely worked under WinXP and doesn't under Vista - without any changes to the code or the assemblys.

Sincerely

TopperDEL

Friday, December 8, 2006 10:27 AM
  • Hi TopperDEL,

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior on my machine so far. Could you post the code that exposes the problem?

If you don't have a simple repro that you can post here, would it be possible to send me your code per mail, so I can debug the issue on my machine? (my e-mail is swick - at - microsoft.com)

Also, one question about your CLR configuration: Do you build the app against CLR 2.0 or against an earlier version? And on your Vista machine, do you have an earlier version of the CLR installed or only CLR 2.0?

Thanks, Stefan Wick

Friday, December 8, 2006 2:07 PM
  • Hi!

I just sent you an email containing my project-solution. If you did not receive it just tell me. My eMail-Address is timparth - at - web.de.

Thanky you both by far!

Sincerely

TopperDEL

Saturday, December 9, 2006 3:45 PM
  • After inspecting and debugging the app code, we found that that it was the app itself that deleted the strokes from the InkOverlay - not the call to InkAnalyzer.GetRecognizedString().

Thanks, Stefan Wick

Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:17 PM