Sql Azure Migration with Computed Columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have moved my database from sql server to sql azure. But i can not move one table's datas which has a computed columns.This column is doing subtraction operation between the other two columns. I take this error: Copying to "dbo"."Props" (Error) Messages Error 0xc020844b: Data Flow Task 1: An exception has occurred during data insertion, the message returned from the provider is: The column "Bakiye" cannot be modified because it is either a computed column or is the result of a UNION operator. (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard) Error 0xc0047022: Data Flow Task 1: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_PROCESSINPUTFAILED. The ProcessInput method on component "Destination - Props" (91) failed with error code 0xC020844B while processing input "Destination Input" (94). The identified component returned an error from the ProcessInput method. The error is specific to the component, but the error is fatal and will cause the Data Flow task to stop running. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure. (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard) My question is how can I migrate these datas?
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Although SQL Azure is already in a more advanced form than it used to be while back, I still recommend using the SQL Azure Migration Wizard from CodePlex (http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/). At the end, if it also doesn't work, then I would suggest removing that computed column, migrating the data, and then altering the table in the cloud to add the computed column. I haven't tried to migrate table with computed columns yet, but I have altered live DB couple of time to add computed columnd and had no issues so far.

Update:

I just migrated my database with computed column from local SQL Instance to SQL Azure instance using the SQL Azure Migration Wizard from codeplex! It works perfectly and fast! I highly recommend using it if you are migrating full database and not doing any intermediate steps, or not just adding new data to the cloud.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:34 PM