Outlook items not appearing in Search Results

Question

• In Windows 8 Dev Preview, when I do a search, it finds files, Apps, Settings as I would expect, but it is not showing Outlook items, such as contacts, emails, etc.  I checked and they are being indexed, and I have 38,000+ items indexed, which seems right to include emails, but I am not seeing any email in the results when I know I should.  This works fine in Windows 7.

Any thoughts appreciated.

David Howard (Howardd21)
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:34 AM

Answers

• I just think that Windows 8 is not designed to pull things from Windows 7 apps yet . . . if ever. I wish it did this and I also wish that it would allow you to show notifications from Outlook on the lock screen.

Thanks,

Joshua

• Marked as answer by David_Howard Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:38 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:49 AM

All replies

• I just think that Windows 8 is not designed to pull things from Windows 7 apps yet . . . if ever. I wish it did this and I also wish that it would allow you to show notifications from Outlook on the lock screen.

Thanks,

Joshua

• Marked as answer by David_Howard Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:38 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Thanks for your comments.

In Win8 Apps will own the search experience for their content. When an app supports the Search Contract that app becomes accessible in the Search charm.

Thanks,
    Brian

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Does anybody know if there are plans to update Windows 7 apps to Windows 8? Specifically, I am wondering about Onenote and Outlook - being able to search through their content is very useful and I would hate to have to wait until Office 2013/2015.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Only Metro apps can expose their search functionality using search contracts and the search charm. At this stage it looks as if the Windows search interface isn't looking at anything other than search contracts, the apps and control panels list, and the file system ifilter - the Outlook and OneNote ifilters don't seem to be referenced. Even if you did get an email result, the only way to preview it would be from an Explorer search (Metro apps can provide previews in their search if they're coded to do it, the Start screen doesn't even do it for files). I'm assuming work in progress, but I'm finding it very limiting myself.

Friday, October 07, 2011 9:08 AM