MSBuild bootstrapper for J# 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

MSBuild has a bootstrapper project to download and install the J# redistributable if it is not on a user's system. Is there an updated version of this to handle version 2.0 and do so for the 3 versions (x32, x64, & IA)? If so, where do I get it? If not, when will it be available?

thanks - dave

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• We really really would like to have this - we just had a customer waste 3 hours because they did not have the J# second edition installed - and they thought they were ok because "they had J# 2.0 installed." Please please please create a new bootstrapper that installs the proper second edition redistributable if needed. Only the J# team can do this.

thanks - dave

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:46 PM
  • please answer

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:14 AM
  •  

asking again
    Friday, July 25, 2008 7:37 PM
  • and again (just had another customer complain about this).

ps - the only reason this is not a significant deal right now is that almost no one is running Vista. When MS makes Vista good enough to use, this is going to become a very big problem for everyone who uses this.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:13 PM
  • asking again - thanks - dave

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:18 PM
  • I'll ask too.   -Mike
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Since J# 2.0-SE was a pure runtime release, there were no changes that were made to the design time (aka VS) for the same. Due to the same there is no direct support available for MSBuild bootstrapper for J# 2.0-SE from Visual Studio.

Changing the existing options in VS2005, would have led to people not being able to use the J#2.0 bootstrapper. Also, there are issues in bootstrapping if J#2.0 is already installed on a machine, that the bootstrapper would not diferentiate and not install the 2.0-SE redist on that machine (where 2.0 is already installed).

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Hi;

Your explanation above is, I think, an argument for why you guys should provide an updated bootstrapper. As you say, how to install on a user's system is complex and therefore only your J# team can successfully create a new bootstrapper. In addition, without a correct bootstrapper, some people will be upgraded wrong.

Please reconsider this issue - we really need it. At present installing J# is a PITA and that is not good. There are a lot of us that are depending on J# for our programs. We decided to use it based on Microsoft's assurances that it would be a quality product. This is a key piece of that.

thanks - dave

Monday, September 1, 2008 4:56 PM
  • This is my monthly ping asking you to please update the J# bootstrapper to install J# 2.0 and the correct platform based on the platform the bootstrapper is running on.

thanks - dave

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:00 AM