none
Outlook 2010 Add-in app.config changes not deploying RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Add-in for Outlook 2010, I have made changes to the App.config (log4net and increasing the max data connections)

Both of these changes works well when I preview the code from VS 2010 to Outlook however when I install the add-in the changes in app.config are being ignored (at least it seems that way).

What needs to be done to the Add-in code or the Installer to have the changes in the App.config get deployed?

• Edited by niyack Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:47 PM

Answers

• There are two different configuration files:

1. App.config - comes from the .Net framework and is not related to Outlook at all.

2. Outlook.exe.manifest - belongs to Outlook and is not related to .Net framework.

Please remember that you develop a .net based add-in where a lot of stuff is not related to Outlook at all. App.config is a configuration file for .Net based desktop applications, not Outlook.

• Marked as answer by niyack Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Yes, you need to make sure the config file is deployed to the installation directory.  You can include that file in the setup package.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook; About me)
    Outlook Appins: Store social media fields in your Outlook Contacts!
    Co-author, Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Step-By-Step

• Marked as answer by niyack Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:26 PM

All replies

• How are you modify App.config?  Manually or with code?  If you are changing them manually, you of course have to deploy the changed App.config file with your installer to overwrite any previous versions of the file.

If you are using code to make changes to Application scoped settings via System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase, those properties cannot be changed during run-time.  You have to scope the setting to the User to make run-time changes.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hello noyack,

Please make sure that you included the latest version of your app.config file to the installer.

Do you get the same issue with standalone applications?

It looks like the issue is not related to Outlook at all. That's why I'd suggest asking such questions in the Visual C# or Visual Basic forum instead. There you will get the most qualified feedback.  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:00 PM
  • The issue (given the responses above) seem to be with the installer not deploying the app.config?

Given the installer is attempting to install something into Outlook, that is why I came to this forum.

Either way, I created a custom config file then included it in the installer and it worked.

So, (given the responses above) if I added the config file to the installer, it would have deployed it to Outlook?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Yes, you need to make sure the config file is deployed to the installation directory.  You can include that file in the setup package.

• Marked as answer by niyack Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:26 PM
  • There are two different configuration files:

1. App.config - comes from the .Net framework and is not related to Outlook at all.

2. Outlook.exe.manifest - belongs to Outlook and is not related to .Net framework.

Please remember that you develop a .net based add-in where a lot of stuff is not related to Outlook at all. App.config is a configuration file for .Net based desktop applications, not Outlook.

• Marked as answer by niyack Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:39 PM