none
.net framework 2.0 reinstallation... ??? (nothing has worked for the past 8 days of trying!) RRS feed

• Question

• So, I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.  Started receiving a "Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 required to run software" message about 2 weeks ago; a few days later some of my USB plug and play devices stopped working and then all of them stopped.  Whenever I attempted to reinstall drivers for these devices I was prompted that I needed .net framework 2.0 (although I don't know how it was uninstalled in the first place!)

I have followed literally every guide/tutorial posted by Microsoft and well over 100 others around the net and nothing has worked!  I have uninstalled all .Net Framework versions, reinstalled (or attempted), used dotnetfx clean-up tool, windows uninstall tool, manual removal, checked for installation registry errors, you name it.  I was able to uninstall/reinstall .Net Framework 1.0, 1.0 service pack 3, 1.1 and 1.1 service pack 1 with no problems, but I received the following error message every time I tried to install 2.0, 2.0 service pack 1, 3.0, 3.0 service pack 1 and 3.5:

"Error 25015. Failed to install assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Frameworkd\v2.0.50727\System.Deployment.dll' because of system error:  The system cannot find the path specified."

I have checked for installer problems, run XP Repair from the disk, on and on! Also checked all possible fixes for Error 25015 and none of the 15 different suggestions worked at all (I did a Google search of the error message verbatim and got the 'no matches found' message!) At this point I'm getting frazzled and just ready to format the thing and just forget the nightmare my week has been. (It was tolerable to not be able to transfer my pictures from my camera, but when every printer in the house (4 total) won't work, got a problem ).

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.  I'm sure I'm missing something minor, but I really can't imagine what else to do besides taking a hammer to the darn CPU! (and if it is a really super fix, let me know anyway, better get it fixed with humilation than end up on psychotic medication because of it!)

Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:41 AM

Answers

All replies