none
shortened Share links won't work properly RRS feed

• Question

• At first i want to excuse for my foreign english, my first language is german - but i'll give my best ;-)

The problem i have with bing maps (oh i love it) is: I created a batch of shortlinks a week ago and wanted to use them now, but everytime i do a click on them, bing maps shows me the location for a second and then jumps to my home city.

I'm very confused about this - any idea? Did the shortlinks get "over time" or something like that?

Thanks for your help and answer

Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:47 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry you are experiencing this kind of problems. my point was, that we're working on a solution, that'll be available in the next release hopefully.and yes you are correct that in your situation, if you can't wait for the fix you're forced to regenerate the urls and use not shortened versions temporarily. I apologize for any inconvenience that might have caused.

Viktor Halitsyn

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• http://binged.it/ZlEzdt <- it's one of the links. If i click it, bing creates the URL

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sffr76hg4hvc&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b&where1=Aachen,%20NW,%20Deutschland&form=LMLTCC#{seems to be session id, so i won't post it}==

As i removed the last parts and shortened the url at the adress fiel of my browser to

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sffr76hg4hvc&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b&w

it will work again

Strange

Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

Could not reproduce on the URL's you provided. We had a refresh to the site recently, so maybe you got unlucky. Is it still happening for you?

Viktor Halitsyn

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:27 PM
  • There appears to be a widespread problem with share links on Bing Maps at the moment.  I routinely add a link to geographical features on the website I help run, and over the last week or so, they have all been failing.  When activated, the links have gone very briefly (usually less than a second) to the correct map, before defaulting to a map of the UK as a whole. This renders the links useless.

This has happened with links that were first shared some time ago and also with newly shared links.  The problem occurs on a number of machines, and across a number of different browsers, so it certainly seems to be at your end. 

Apparently I cannot post links, but if  you end the usual short link format with the following strings, you should get an idea of what I mean:

12Go0vr

10Ya3GG

16NgyhW

And one I "shared" a couple of moments ago to check the problem still exists: 11SK2Gk

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

got some info for you in case you're still interested. This is a known issue that we currently have a fix for, but the fix is not in production yet.  For now, the best thing to do would be to remove the search parameter(q, where1, ss)  from the URL.

Viktor Halitsyn

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Hello Victor

Thank you for this.  Is there any timescale for the application of the fix?

I ask because I have a website visited by 3 million unique visitors per year that has 1,804 different links to Bing mapping information, all of which are currently broken as far as visitors to the site are concerned.

Your suggested change to the URLs is obviously not going to work for shortened form links, so I am faced with a simply choice, of manually relocating and remaking 1,804 links, with the huge drain on time and resource that implies; or simply removing all those links.  During the last month, according to Google Analytics, our links to Bing Maps have been used 2,229 times.  That may not be a big deal from Bing's perspective, but from what you say the dilemma I am facing is also being faced by everyone who has ever used your site to share a short form link. The overall loss of traffic to Bing if all of these users delete their links to you or look elsewhere for mapping information could be significant: though much more significant is the loss of confidence in an organisation that seems to feel it's OK to leave its users high and dry in this way.  

Regards 

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:13 PM
  • I'm sorry you are experiencing this kind of problems. my point was, that we're working on a solution, that'll be available in the next release hopefully.and yes you are correct that in your situation, if you can't wait for the fix you're forced to regenerate the urls and use not shortened versions temporarily. I apologize for any inconvenience that might have caused.

Viktor Halitsyn

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Thank you Viktor: the problem now seems to have been resolved.
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:40 AM