none
[UWP] [Desktop Bridge] Browsing Network filesystem is causing issues RRS feed

• Question

• This might be more a bug report then a question. The error is very strange so I'm also wondering if other people have the same issue or if it just me ?

I'm in the processing of making sure my desktop app works under the UWP Desktop Bridge.

However I get a very strange behavior in 'normal' Windows when the Desktop Store App (or what we call full Desktop apps running as store app using the UWP Desktop Bridge) is running.

if the DesktopStoreApp is showing a path that are located on the network in for example a Load/Save file picker.
    Other standard desktop program will fail to access that path until the embedded explorer in the file picker is done browsing the filesystem and getting icons and such.
    Specially if you have a lot of folders in the folder.. (I have around 2000+ folder so it takes Windows a while to find everything and get all the icons and such)
    and it is not only in my app. I can even reproduce it using Evernote that was released in the store as a DesktopStoreApp. 

I wrote a small program to be able see when it happens easier (C++, console)
    It will check the access to the folder every 100ms and if it gets an error, it prints out the error

int main(){
      while (1) {
        DWORD err = GetFileAttributes(L"\\\\SERVER\\Share\\Folder\\");  // CHANGE THIS
        if (err == INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES){
          err = ::GetLastError();
          printf("Err %d\n", err); // 59 ERROR_UNEXP_NET_ERR
        }
        Sleep(100);
      }
      return 0;
    }

Make sure to change the path in the code above to a network folder that have lots of folders. (I was able to trigger it even with a lot less, but it is harder)

Build and run the console program that monitors that folder

Start any DesktopStoreApp that have a File picker and go to the same location

The program will now start to print out "Err 59" a couple of times, when the store app is access that path

And it is ONLY happening if the DesktopStoreApp is accessing the same network path. If it is another normal app. Everything works
    The problem is that if you are playing music/video from the network and then open a DesktopStoreApp and to same location. The music/video will stops since it can read the file anymore.

I been able to trigger this on multiple machines, But all the machines are on the same network.

Know issue ? Or is it only my setup that are acting weird ? Anyone else seen this ?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Mathias,

we are in the process of testing a fix for the problem you have described.

Can you please reach out to me directly so we can be sure to cover your specific app scenario in the validation? My email is swick at microsoft.com.

Thanks!
    Stefan Wick
    Windows Developer Platform Team

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Mathias Svensson,
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this question. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,
    Jayden Gu
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Hi Mathias,

we are in the process of testing a fix for the problem you have described.

Can you please reach out to me directly so we can be sure to cover your specific app scenario in the validation? My email is swick at microsoft.com.

Thanks!
    Stefan Wick
    Windows Developer Platform Team

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:44 PM