none
Assembly Loading in .Net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a C# desktop (Windows Forms) solution.  The solution is divided into a number of projects, some are most UI code, some are class libraries.   In one of the WinForm projects on startup I see it loading the expected dependent dll's and then I see approximately lines like:

vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'lc3qclbs'

the problem is this behavior is only evident in the one project and it adds quite a bit of time to the startp process.

My questions are: 

what are these ?

is there someway to eliminate or speed them up ?

what is the best way to debug assemply loading issues ?

Monday, March 10, 2008 7:04 PM

Answers

• 1. Vshost is a managed hosting environment for running .Net apps inside Visual studio.  Its built for optimizations for use in Visual studio.  If you look in your task manager you should also see Myproject.vshost.exe files and this is what the running file looks like.

2. I know of know why to eliminate them, they are there for VS.

3. What kind of debugging do you need to do for assembly loading issues?  The output window in VS should show you each assembly loaded.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Well your app wont run slow, but Visual Studio might.  These files are files from teh GAc by Visual Studio (I believe) to help run the application hosted.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• 1. Vshost is a managed hosting environment for running .Net apps inside Visual studio.  Its built for optimizations for use in Visual studio.  If you look in your task manager you should also see Myproject.vshost.exe files and this is what the running file looks like.

2. I know of know why to eliminate them, they are there for VS.

3. What kind of debugging do you need to do for assembly loading issues?  The output window in VS should show you each assembly loaded.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Dan,

The issue for is all these "anonymous" assemblies (the ones with the random 8 character names).  None of my other projects have nearly so many.

I don't want to eliminate Vshost just understand why this one project is loading so many of these XXXXXXXX managed asemblies. 

It's a performance issue. 

thanks

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Well your app wont run slow, but Visual Studio might.  These files are files from teh GAc by Visual Studio (I believe) to help run the application hosted.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 8:26 PM