none
xml Renderer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can someone please explain why there is an xml renderer  in reportserver and the xml rendering is specified in the RSreportserverconfig file; further, it can be accessed from webforms but not from winforms.

Is there a way of making that renderer available from within a windows forms application?

Thanks

Monday, September 10, 2007 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

Converting RDLCs to RDLs is a pretty simple process; renaming and uploading, and some tweaking of the datasources.  And this *is* documented very clearly, here <s> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109(VS.80).aspx  If you use Google or Windows Live Search and type in RDLC convert to RDL the link I gave you, which is to a topic named "Converting RDL and RDLC files" in MSDN, strangely enough, is the first hit you'll get.

To answer your questions:

* -- Reports must be RDLs to be viewed remotely because there is no surrounding code that you have written in your application to load the data.  That's the basic difference.  The XML schema for the report definitions is shared, but there are parts of it that don't mean anything to an RDLC, where the data is prepared externally.

* -- And, yes, the reports "must be on the server" to be servermode reports. I am not sure what documentation "seems to suggest" what you said. But in this sense, winform and webform reportviewer are equivalent.  Server mode means that the control requests a fully-rendered report from a SERVER and then the reportviewer control simply displays it.  Local mode means that the control PROCESSES and renders a report and then displays it.

If you tell me what you read that suggests otherwise I will attempt to decode <s>.  But I think that probably you were seeing references to "paths" and not realizing that they were "virtual paths" in the report server folder hierarchy -- which is what I showed you in my example.

* -- I have no idea what "what is allowed under each" means -- are you talking about the different editions of RS/SQL here, looking for a doc chart on that?

* -- I am sorry (not apologizing, because I am responsible for neither RS code nor RS docs, just commiserating) about your configuration issues, and I am sorrier still to tell you that these are pretty common around here.  If there was one resource I could point you to that would resolve every possible issue, I would, and if there is a best part of the docs to go to for this purpose, I really don't know it. 

I can ask some questions about the "usual suspects" and also suggest that you search these forums because, given different quirks of installation (and it's worse under Vista!) a lot of people will have come to a happy ending different ways.

* -- what operating system are you under?

* -- are other ASP.NET apps working fine in this installation (if not, we will look at other issues related to which order IIS and .NET framework were installed in <sigh> ?

* --  when you say "ASP.NET change the connection string to the correct instance" what exactly did you do?

* --  In your MSSQL*\Reporting Services\ReportManager directory you will find a RSWebApplication.config file.  What is the contents of its UI node (at the top)?

>L<

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:30 PM

All replies

• It appears that the renderer would become available if I use the remote server report rather than the local report.

Changing to server report with properties set such that:

ReportServerUrl     http://localhost/reportserver

Reportpath             C:\Document and setting\.....\report1.rdlc

I get

The  request fail with http status 401: Unauthorized

This is the first time I'm attempting a remote report. Is there something about the report server configuration that needs setting? The setting are alll default settings.

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:59 PM
  • First of all, a remote report is generally an RDL, not an RDLC.  The difference is that the server is going to prepare the data for you as part of preparing the report.  They're a bit different.

Second, the report path is not going to be c:\documents and settings\anything.  It is going to be the path on the reportserver .  Very quick example:

Code Snippet

With Me.ReportViewer1
                .Reset()
                .ProcessingMode = _
                    Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ProcessingMode.Remote
                .ServerReport.ReportPath = "/BallyBroadcast/Recipients"
                .ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = _
                    New System.Uri("http://myserver/reportserver")
                .ServerReport.Refresh()

End With

Note I'm not binding any data here.  That information lives in the report definition for RDLs, the dataset is not "given" to the report for remote processing. The report server can have "shared datasources" defined, but, whether shared or embedded in the report, the report server is going to be running the queries.  I hope this makes sense.

I'm writing a bit quickly -- sorry if this isn't explicit enough -- does it get you started looking at the docs, I hope?

>L<

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:52 AM
  •  

Dear Lisa,

Thanks for responding.

I have spent too much time trying to search through the documentation on both visual studio and SQL books online  and cannot seem to find the information I seek.

I am using Report designer to create the reports. It automatically creates rdlc reports. Can these reports be view remotely? Further must the report be on the report server. The documentation seems to suggest that in the windows form application the reports that are assigned to run at server on reportviewer  may be placed in a folder and the paths set accordingly.

I believe that I have another problem as well which may be linked to configuration since

I cannot seem to launch report manager. I get the 401 unauthorized error when I attempt to do so. Things I’ve attempted to resolve that

1) Use IIS to change the authentication method from Integrated windows to allow anonymous access with IIS control password.

2) Again through IIS under report properties ASP.NET change the connection string to the correct instance

Where is the documentation that will explain all the required configurations and what is allowed under each?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Hi there,

Converting RDLCs to RDLs is a pretty simple process; renaming and uploading, and some tweaking of the datasources.  And this *is* documented very clearly, here <s> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109(VS.80).aspx  If you use Google or Windows Live Search and type in RDLC convert to RDL the link I gave you, which is to a topic named "Converting RDL and RDLC files" in MSDN, strangely enough, is the first hit you'll get.

To answer your questions:

* -- Reports must be RDLs to be viewed remotely because there is no surrounding code that you have written in your application to load the data.  That's the basic difference.  The XML schema for the report definitions is shared, but there are parts of it that don't mean anything to an RDLC, where the data is prepared externally.

* -- And, yes, the reports "must be on the server" to be servermode reports. I am not sure what documentation "seems to suggest" what you said. But in this sense, winform and webform reportviewer are equivalent.  Server mode means that the control requests a fully-rendered report from a SERVER and then the reportviewer control simply displays it.  Local mode means that the control PROCESSES and renders a report and then displays it.

If you tell me what you read that suggests otherwise I will attempt to decode <s>.  But I think that probably you were seeing references to "paths" and not realizing that they were "virtual paths" in the report server folder hierarchy -- which is what I showed you in my example.

* -- I have no idea what "what is allowed under each" means -- are you talking about the different editions of RS/SQL here, looking for a doc chart on that?

* -- I am sorry (not apologizing, because I am responsible for neither RS code nor RS docs, just commiserating) about your configuration issues, and I am sorrier still to tell you that these are pretty common around here.  If there was one resource I could point you to that would resolve every possible issue, I would, and if there is a best part of the docs to go to for this purpose, I really don't know it. 

I can ask some questions about the "usual suspects" and also suggest that you search these forums because, given different quirks of installation (and it's worse under Vista!) a lot of people will have come to a happy ending different ways.

* -- what operating system are you under?

* -- are other ASP.NET apps working fine in this installation (if not, we will look at other issues related to which order IIS and .NET framework were installed in <sigh> ?

* --  when you say "ASP.NET change the connection string to the correct instance" what exactly did you do?

* --  In your MSSQL*\Reporting Services\ReportManager directory you will find a RSWebApplication.config file.  What is the contents of its UI node (at the top)?

>L<

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:30 PM
  •  

Dear Lisa,

Thanks for the link on conversion of rdlc to rdl…indeed quite straight forward.

I run windows XP professional SP2

All other ASP.net applications run flawlessly.

In  IIS for the  report and reportserver website...asp.net configuartion....

The data source read .\SQLEXPRESS that was changed to .\MSSQLSERVER  since I’m using SQL server 2005 de default instance

Also the attached filename was |DataDirectory|aspnet.mdf….no such file is attached to my SQL Server So that was changed to reportservices.mdf

And the config file IU node reads

<UI>

<ReportServerUrl></ReportServerUrl>

<ReportServerVirtualDirectory>ReportServer</ReportServerVirtualDirectory>

<ReportBuilderTrustLevel>FullTrust</ReportBuilderTrustLevel>

</UI>

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:35 PM
  • >>

And the config file IU node reads

<UI>

<ReportServerUrl></ReportServerUrl>

<ReportServerVirtualDirectory>ReportServer</ReportServerVirtualDirectory>

</UI>

<<

Try changing this as follows. Do not use localhost/reportserver, use your http://yourservername/ReportServer in the first entry and please note that the second entry is blank:

<UI>
      <ReportServerUrl>http://YourServer/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>
      <ReportServerVirtualDirectory></ReportServerVirtualDirectory>
     </UI>

I think you can also do this through the Reporting Services Configuration Tool, but I haven't had as much luck with that as in trying to understand and fix the config file directly for this one <s>.

And no I don't remember for sure where I read about this. I think I just decided to use the "alternative configuration" shown here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155878.aspx because the "default configuration" (which is what you have) didn't work for me.

HTH,

>L<

Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:39 PM