MS Tech Talk: "Migrating from SQL to Azure" RRS feed

• Question

• What are the best practices for migrating a database to Azure? If the database (currently in SQL) is simple and small, is it better to migrate to Azure Storage or to SQL Azure?

What are the pros/cons with either approach?

MS Tech Talk persona
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

• Assuming you don’t want to rewrite your application, migrating SQL to SQL Azure is the only viable option. 

If you are going to rewrite the application, all options are open and the answer is it depends on what you are storing, how you need to be able to query for it, etc. Azure tables vs. SQL Azure have pretty distinct use cases.

You typically use Azure storage for highly scalable and high volume applications, which generally have deeper cloud characteristics (e.g. don’t have the potential to go back to on-premise).

It looks to me like your small database can use SQL Azure, unless you are looking at a different scenario.

MS Tech Talk persona

• Marked as answer by MS Tech Talk Friday, October 22, 2010 7:25 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:25 PM

All replies

• SQL Azure is an edition of SQL Server.  So migrating from SQL Server to SQL Azure is the simplest approach.
    MS Tech Talk persona
  • Agreed that this is the simplest approach. But is it the best approach?

What I’m trying to understand is whether I can manage only one server, for example the WebRole talking to Azure Storage, and not have to worry about SQL Azure at all (in this specific case where the database is simple).  

Is there any kind of a table that lists what to use Azure Storage tables for, and what not to use them for?
    MS Tech Talk persona
  • Assuming you don’t want to rewrite your application, migrating SQL to SQL Azure is the only viable option. 

If you are going to rewrite the application, all options are open and the answer is it depends on what you are storing, how you need to be able to query for it, etc. Azure tables vs. SQL Azure have pretty distinct use cases.

You typically use Azure storage for highly scalable and high volume applications, which generally have deeper cloud characteristics (e.g. don’t have the potential to go back to on-premise).

It looks to me like your small database can use SQL Azure, unless you are looking at a different scenario.

MS Tech Talk persona

• Marked as answer by MS Tech Talk Friday, October 22, 2010 7:25 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:25 PM