none
Create a UI Framework .NET [For beginners] RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to everyone, i'm Franz (14 years old) i love programming i invented MySoft Studio a small environment for softwares and when it comes for UI i want to create my own  UI .Net Framework how to start ? Thanks

Franz

onlinefranztech@gmail.com

mysoftstudio.pro@gmail.com

www.mysoftstudio.ml

Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:28 PM

Answers

• A UI can be text only. That is why a UI is usually a Graphical User Interface because most people are accustomed to graphical ones.

The first thing to learn about programming is that you must decide what you need to do. So you need to decide what your UI must do or at least what you want it to do. If you are going to make a GUI then you need to learn graphical programming.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:44 AM
  • You should get more experience using windows (in general, not necessarily Windows windows). Note that controls such as text boxes and buttons are also windows. You should have an understanding from the perspective of a user of what is necessary to:

• create a window
    • put controls into windows
    • process the mouse
    • process the keyboard
    • handle events such as key pressed, mouse move, mouse click

You need to write a description from a user's perspective of how to use a UI. Then that could be a good beginning for a specification of what you need to write. A good programmer needs to be able to document what they do. For a young person such as you, your ability to describe what needs to be done is most important. That is what employers will want the most, whether you pursue computer engineering or something else. There are very many other career choices where an ability to specify what software is needed will be valuable. Amateurs and many experienced programmers tend to want to jump in and start programming. It will help you to understand and appreciate the value of specifications.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 13, 2017 9:11 PM
  • One way is to look at what others have done, examine it, try it, examine the source.

Here is one such example.

https://thielj.github.io/MetroFramework/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Franz Nkemaka Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:51 AM
    Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:42 AM
  • Writing code based on someone else's code is a good way to learn the wrong way to do things. It might work well if Franz were to study the code and document it and then write specifications from that. Well, that leads to the question, is the software documented? Probably not and that's the problem. Too many young programmers are not learning about good documentation and Microsoft is suffering from that problem. If the software is well-documented then that is where to look.

If a programmer in a company were to rewrite a program that is poorly written then what would QA say when it is time to implement it? What they should say is, where is the documentation? If the programmer says that the old program is the documentation then what should the QA person say? No, the old program is not the documentation.

The truth is that programmers are becoming abundant and therefore cheap; in other words, programming is not as profitable as it was in the past. Companies will pay more for an analyst than a programmer. Young people need to understand that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by Franz Nkemaka Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:54 AM
    Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:55 AM

All replies

• A UI can be text only. That is why a UI is usually a Graphical User Interface because most people are accustomed to graphical ones.

The first thing to learn about programming is that you must decide what you need to do. So you need to decide what your UI must do or at least what you want it to do. If you are going to make a GUI then you need to learn graphical programming.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:44 AM
  • Thanks for the good answer; 

Examples of GUI that i mean is BUNIFU, MetroUI etc 

Friday, October 13, 2017 3:33 PM
  • You should get more experience using windows (in general, not necessarily Windows windows). Note that controls such as text boxes and buttons are also windows. You should have an understanding from the perspective of a user of what is necessary to:

• create a window
    • put controls into windows
    • process the mouse
    • process the keyboard
    • handle events such as key pressed, mouse move, mouse click

You need to write a description from a user's perspective of how to use a UI. Then that could be a good beginning for a specification of what you need to write. A good programmer needs to be able to document what they do. For a young person such as you, your ability to describe what needs to be done is most important. That is what employers will want the most, whether you pursue computer engineering or something else. There are very many other career choices where an ability to specify what software is needed will be valuable. Amateurs and many experienced programmers tend to want to jump in and start programming. It will help you to understand and appreciate the value of specifications.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 13, 2017 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Sam, Thanks for such advices 

Friday, October 13, 2017 9:48 PM
  • One way is to look at what others have done, examine it, try it, examine the source.

Here is one such example.

https://thielj.github.io/MetroFramework/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Franz Nkemaka Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:51 AM
    Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:42 AM
  • Writing code based on someone else's code is a good way to learn the wrong way to do things. It might work well if Franz were to study the code and document it and then write specifications from that. Well, that leads to the question, is the software documented? Probably not and that's the problem. Too many young programmers are not learning about good documentation and Microsoft is suffering from that problem. If the software is well-documented then that is where to look.

If a programmer in a company were to rewrite a program that is poorly written then what would QA say when it is time to implement it? What they should say is, where is the documentation? If the programmer says that the old program is the documentation then what should the QA person say? No, the old program is not the documentation.

The truth is that programmers are becoming abundant and therefore cheap; in other words, programming is not as profitable as it was in the past. Companies will pay more for an analyst than a programmer. Young people need to understand that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Marked as answer by Franz Nkemaka Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:54 AM
    Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:55 AM
  • You best understand UI design patterns, the basics, because each one can be user for Web and Windows UI(s).

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/228214/Understanding-Basics-of-UI-Design-Pattern-MVC-MVP

Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Thanks Karen, Thanks for such guides
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:48 AM
  • I tried to find relevant articles but all I could find was articles about using existing GUIs. Just now I looked at Graphical user interface - Wikipedia and that is something you should read. It is interesting, to me at least, that IBM's Common User Access specifications formed the basis of the user interfaces used in Microsoft Windows. I remember the day IBM announced the CUA and many other things including OS/2. I think you will enjoy reading PDF Common User Access – A consistent and usable human-computer interface for the SAA environments" and/or other articles in the External Links at the bottom of the Wikipedia article. The References section lists some IBM manuals but apparently they are not available online but you might be able to purchase used copies such as Systems Application Architecture Common User Access Basic Interface Design Guide 1989 Edition: IBM: Amazon.com: Books. See IBM Systems Application Architecture: Common User Access - IET Conference Publication; I don't k now what that is or how much it costs but you can look at that. Also see Common User Access—A consistent and usable human-computer interface for the SAA environments. See CONTENTS "CUA Basic Interface Design Guide" IBM Library Server for a copy of that that is available online. I am not sure if CONTENTS "Object-Oriented Interface Design" IBM Library Server is relevant but it appears to be. If you can use any of those then you can be confident you are using the most authoritive and professional documents relevant to your project.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:49 PM
  • If you download an IBM manual and it is in BookManager format (file extension "boo") then you will need a reader for that format. The IBM utility is IBM Downloadable free BookManager tools and components - United States. You will need an IBM account to install it but all of that is free. Don't be intimidated by the request for a business name; I have just used whatever I feel like using for the business name.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, October 15, 2017 7:32 PM