none
Creating a new addin ribbon in MS Excel 2007 with custom name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1) Whenever I create a new excel addin project using Visual Studio 2008, the new ribbon added has the name "Addin". How can I rename it to some other name, e.g., "My Ribbon" programmatically using VSTO/ in any manner.

2) In Excel 2010, I could see the option "Customize ribbon" wherein I can add a new tab with a new name. Is it possible in Excel 2007?

Summary: My requirement is either adding a new ribbon with a new name OR renaming "Addin" tab to custom name, e.g. My Ribbon.

Thanks in advance !

A developer
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

• You should set your ribbon xml with something like this:

<tab id="MyTab" label="My Tab Name"

>

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Hi KSomi

By default the Ribbon Designer shows you the built-in Tab named Add-ins. This is a shared Tab, where various small customizations (including the pre-2007 toolbars customizations) should be.

you can certainly right-click in the Ribbon Designer and choose to add a new tab, giving that a name.

If you add nothing to Add-ins, and there's nothing else in the user's Ribbon that uses that tab, it will not appear. But if something else has added groups and controls to Add-ins, it will appear as it is a built-in Tab.

Both Excel 2007 and Excel 2010 use the same Ribbon Designer, so what you can do for Excel 2010 you can also do in a project that targets Excel 2007.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by KSomi Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:49 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• You should set your ribbon xml with something like this:

<tab id="MyTab" label="My Tab Name"

>

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Hi KSomi

By default the Ribbon Designer shows you the built-in Tab named Add-ins. This is a shared Tab, where various small customizations (including the pre-2007 toolbars customizations) should be.

you can certainly right-click in the Ribbon Designer and choose to add a new tab, giving that a name.

If you add nothing to Add-ins, and there's nothing else in the user's Ribbon that uses that tab, it will not appear. But if something else has added groups and controls to Add-ins, it will appear as it is a built-in Tab.

Both Excel 2007 and Excel 2010 use the same Ribbon Designer, so what you can do for Excel 2010 you can also do in a project that targets Excel 2007.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by KSomi Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:49 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Thanks,Cindy Meister and Rich Michaels.
    A developer
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:49 AM