SQL 2008 (R2) - Mirroring DB architecture + Witness RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I need to find solutions to secure mirroring DB architectures with witness. So, I'm focusing on the witness.

Actually, my DB mirroring architectures have the following: 1 server for principal : 1 license STD or Ent + 1 server for mirrored: no licence required + 1 witness (sql express 2008: free license).

I want to secure witness, so:

is-it possible to share 1 witness for multiples DB mirroring architectures ?

is-it possible to secure witness (clustering, replication, mirroring, log shipping) ?

is-it possible to share secure witnesses for multiples architectures ?

Are there tools for witness monitorig ? (free or not) which can pickup different informations like: alerts, mirrored nodes, toggle server, web services via soap and so on) ?

Thanks for advance for your ideas / help - Regards - Have a nice day ! RHUM2
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

• is-it possible to share 1 witness for multiples DB mirroring architectures ?

Yes. 1 witness server can be in several database mirroring sessions. You can refer to this article, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175191.aspx.

is-it possible to secure witness (clustering, replication, mirroring, log shipping) ?

Did you mean that whether a witness server can be also used for cluster, replication, mirroring and log shipping? There is no database required for a witness server. For a database mirroring witness, it just requires the server to create an endpoint. All clustering, replication, mirroring and log shipping do not affect the endpoint, so your witness server can also be clustered or works in a replication, mirroring and log shipping environment.

I am not sure of your meaning. Could you please elaborate it with a specific scenario?

Are there tools for witness monitorig ? (free or not) which can pickup different informations like: alerts, mirrored nodes, toggle server, web services via soap and so on) ?

There are very limited manners for witness mornitoring. You can query the DMVs sys.database_mirroring and sys.database_mirroring_witnesses to retrieve status information of your witness server. But you can manually create jobs to query the DMVs and send mail alerts to related people if needed.

More information on database mirroring can be found here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934127.aspx.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:40 AM
  • RHUM2,

Since witness is at server instance level, to keep its availability, you can create a SQL Server failover cluster for it. Mirroring is at database level which does not apply for this scenario.

If you want to install multiple witness on a server, you can install multiple SQL Server instances on your server. Each instance is a witness. To keep the high availability, you can first create a Windows Server cluster on which you can install multiple virtual SQL Server instances.

There is no public webservice APIs from Microsoft, but you can create your own webservice by querying the DMVs.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, May 7, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• is-it possible to share 1 witness for multiples DB mirroring architectures ?

Yes. 1 witness server can be in several database mirroring sessions. You can refer to this article, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175191.aspx.

Did you mean that whether a witness server can be also used for cluster, replication, mirroring and log shipping? There is no database required for a witness server. For a database mirroring witness, it just requires the server to create an endpoint. All clustering, replication, mirroring and log shipping do not affect the endpoint, so your witness server can also be clustered or works in a replication, mirroring and log shipping environment.

I am not sure of your meaning. Could you please elaborate it with a specific scenario?

There are very limited manners for witness mornitoring. You can query the DMVs sys.database_mirroring and sys.database_mirroring_witnesses to retrieve status information of your witness server. But you can manually create jobs to query the DMVs and send mail alerts to related people if needed.

More information on database mirroring can be found here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934127.aspx.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Hello Charles !

Thanks for your responses. In fact, I'm working in hosting environments. The goal of "secured witness" is to prevent failure of this witness.

For example, I have 50 DB mirroring platforms (with 2 servers for each platform) and I want monitor all with a witness. So, if this witness falls for multiple reasons (network, system, applications, ...), .....

So, I want to know if it's possible to protect witness in a secured and / or high availability area (mirroring of witness / clustering of witness or other methods) in order to share these "secured witness" across my different DB mirroring platforms (1 platform by customer)

Is it possible to install multiple witnesses  on a server, secure this server with an high availibilty methode and share this architecture across my different customers platforms ?

Monitoring: querying some views or tables are effectively interesting, but is it possible to use web services in order to inform applications or exploitation teams about mirroing states (like replication monitor or log shipping monitor) ?

Thanks for advance for your ideas / help - Regards - Have a nice day ! RHUM2
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:54 AM
  • RHUM2,

Since witness is at server instance level, to keep its availability, you can create a SQL Server failover cluster for it. Mirroring is at database level which does not apply for this scenario.

If you want to install multiple witness on a server, you can install multiple SQL Server instances on your server. Each instance is a witness. To keep the high availability, you can first create a Windows Server cluster on which you can install multiple virtual SQL Server instances.

There is no public webservice APIs from Microsoft, but you can create your own webservice by querying the DMVs.

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 7, 2010 5:57 AM
  • RHUM2,
    How everything is going? Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:07 AM