Estimated Costs for using an on-Premise MFA Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently developing a concept which involves using Windows Hello for Business in a standalone application.

The customers' entire infrastructure is based on on-premise. Therefore i would like to use a azure mfa on-premise server.  I have to manage around 10 users.

At the moment it is not really transparent to me if and what costs I need to consider.

Kind regards,

Dennis Warrimont

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:51 PM

All replies

• When you create a Multi-Factor Authentication Provider by the 'per user' or 'per authentication' billing/usage model. Pricing for MFA per-user and per-authentication options is described here.
    I would suggest you to check the Third point on the Footer Notes in the Azure AD Pricing Document

How does Multi-Factor Authentication billing work?
    When you create a per-user or per-authentication MFA provider, your organization's Azure subscription is billed monthly based on usage. This billing model is similar to how Azure bills for usage of virtual machines and websites.
    When you purchase a subscription for Azure Multi-Factor Authentication, your organization only pays the annual license fee for each user. MFA licenses and Office 365, Azure AD Premium, or Enterprise Mobility + Security bundles are billed this way.
    Learn more about your options in How to get Azure Multi-Factor Authentication.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/multi-factor-authentication-faq#billing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here.

• Proposed as answer by vijisankar Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:06 PM
  • There are several costs involved.

When you install Azure MFA Server on an existing Windows Server installation in your environment and the hardware offers sufficient resources to store the bits (1GB of disk space), run the services (400MB of RAM) and run the portals as part of Internet Information Services (IIS), your cost for hosting the server will be nihil. There are several deployment models for MFA Server. Pick the one that's right for your organization and situation.

As for the time needed to set up Azure MFA Server, think of 8 to 24 business hours.
    To guide the 10 people using the functionality, think of another 4 to 8 hours to write the documentation for them on how to use the User Portal, register using the App with the Mobile Portal, etc.

For the MFA Provider in Azure AD, you need to think about $1.50 either per month per user, or per 10 authentications. You need to make the choice for the licensing scheme for the MFA Provider when you create it. It's not that hard to create a second MFA provider with the other settings and switch over the MFA Server to switch the licensing scheme.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see our previous response. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:47 PM