none
Using SQLite RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a step by step procedure for using a SQLite db with ASP.net (VB) on my website. I can't find any support in EW4.
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

• That would be up to you to figure out.  It's something you would need to get hold of and hand code.  Google "SQLite asp.net" and start exploring.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:23 PM
  • I'm looking for a step by step procedure for using a SQLite db with ASP.net (VB) on my website. I can't find any support in EW4.

Translation:

"I'm looking for someone else to research this for me, then write me a step-by-step tutorial on how it is implemented, then post it here, on their blog, or on their personal Web site, and all for free."

;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I have just about worn the "G" off Google. I find bits and pieces that I can't put together.

Mike

Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Well that's how the authors of the "for Dummies" books make a living. It appears that you're not related to any of them.

Mike

Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:32 AM
  • "Well that's how the authors of the "for Dummies" books make a living."

Precisely: they get paid.  :) 

What you are asking is not a topic for this forum.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Out of curiosity, why sqllite instead of sqlexpress?

SQLExpress and Visual Web Developer Express (better database tool than Expression Web) are both free. VWD Express sets up all the boilerplate for your VB subroutines. Like running some VB code on click of a button etc.

Just wonderin' ---

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:00 AM
  • I'd be happy to pay for an answer. Interested?

I'm trying to figure out how to use EW to accomplish a goal. How is that not a topic for an EW forum?

Mike

• Edited by Dreamspinner Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:17 AM Missed a point
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I've been using SQLite a bit for desktop apps on Win and Mac. It seems pretty capable. I'm not familiar with SQLExpress or VWDE, but I'll sure go look at 'em. Thanks for the tip!!

Mike

Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Well that's how the authors of the "for Dummies" books make a living. It appears that you're not related to any of them.

Heh, heh... as Kathy has noted, we are all volunteers here, users of EW who come here on our own time to offer assistance to those less experienced, and we receive no recompense for that time. The forum's threaded, short message format format lends itself well to answering specific, directed questions, and not so well to creating in-depth, step-by-step tutorials, which is what you were asking for.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:11 AM
  • I know every one is a volunteer, and I came here as a  less experienced, frustrated guy trying to get some answers that, despite my attempts in other arenas, have yielded little.

I have no idea if there is a limit on the number of words per post, but I can't imagine how the answer (if there is one) would be constrained by the format of the forum.

Here's a short specific one. Where on the web site does the SQLite dll go, and how is it referenced?

Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Okay, I downloaded VWDE. It won't install on my Win7 64 box. It claims to have no rights to write to the 64 bit Program Files directory. Running the install as admin didn't help. I'm surprised it doesn't install in the 32 bit structure.
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:31 AM

• VWD 2010 Express supports Windows 7 x64 so it should install. See (you probably already have):

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-web-developer-express

Hopefully one of the others here with some experience on Windows 7 will have a suggestion (I'm still with XP).

Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:48 AM

• There's a ton of free  tutorials out there. For some easy to get started with check those in my signature below (once you are set to go with asp.net, and a database you can work with)

Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:53 AM
  • "Here's a short specific one. Where on the web site does the SQLite dll go, and how is it referenced?"

Installing SQLite is not a topic for this forum, as I'm pretty sure we've made clear.  Even if it were, from the replies so far, you are the only one here trying to use it, so all we'd be doing is what you can do: google and find instructions, and find some other place to ask questions, say, in the SQLite home page / Support area mailing lists.  You would be the one with the incentive to do that.  [Or don't use SQLite.]

Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Okay, I downloaded VWDE. It won't install on my Win7 64 box. It claims to have no rights to write to the 64 bit Program Files directory. Running the install as admin didn't help. I'm surprised it doesn't install in the 32 bit structure.

I can say that there were no problems on my Win7x64 Toshiba machine. I don't know the source of your problem, but, again, this is not a tech support forum, not for EW, nor for VWDE, nor for Win7x64.

As Kathy has pointed out, no one here has any interest in using SQLLite with EW for our own purposes. Therefore, as stated before, you are asking "... for someone else to research this for me, then write me a step-by-step tutorial on how it is implemented, then post it here..."

You are the only one in this conversation with any incentive to do the necessary research, n'est-ce pas?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:59 PM
  • OK, thanks for the beating.

Perhaps a review of http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7fd16fa3-1944-4522-8848-a6a2926a253b might benefit you.

I don;t think you'll find anything there that says I violated forum protocol.

Don't bother with a reply.  This forum isn't the place for it.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Pleas see my reply to Kathy's last.
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:03 PM
  • We are quite familiar with that link.  We refer people to it all the time.  It  (and the blurb at the top of this page describing what this forum is for) is consistent with what we've been telling you.

You are simply asking SQLite questions in the wrong place.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Pleas see my reply to Kathy's last.

Actually, I may probably hold the record for the number of times I have referred people to the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here. I can honestly say that, if memory serves, this is the first time I've ever had someone refer me to them.  ;-)

BTW, the blurb that Kathy refers to is the basic mission statement of the forum, on the main thread page introducing the forum, here:

Expression Web and SuperPreview

Questions and discussions regarding Expression Web, the professional design tool for creating modern, standards-based sites that deliver superior quality on the web. 

Note that that does not include SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB/2-DB/400, or any of the plethora of other database technologies for which EW does not offer in-built, direct support, as it does for Access, MSSQL, and SQLExpress. Now, if someone here actually did use SQLite, and were prepared to offer the benefit of their experience, then fine, we would all be happy to sit back and learn, and to add the thread to our bookmarks for future reference in case we ever need to use SQLite.

That does not appear to be the case, however, and it is inappropriate of you to call us to task for not going w-a-a-a-y out of our way to go off-topic for the forum simply to accommodate you. Find a SQLite forum, or maybe check with forums.asp.net, where they may know if there have been ADO.NET providers created for that DB, or do as we would have to do and do your own research and learn from it. Then you can come back and offer step-by-step instructions on implementing SQLite with EW.

cheers,
    scott

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:25 AM