none
Windows Embedded Compact 2013 and VS2013 / .NET Framework 4.5.1 Incompatible? RRS feed

• Question

• I had recently started working on a Windows Embedded Compact 2013 project in VS2012 Update 2. After installing the VS 2013 preview, I started getting this error on build

CEBUILD: BUILDMSG: Running sysgen  preproc (for COMMON)

C:\WINCE800\public\common\oak\misc\Sources.CE(6) : fatal error U1050: Error: Microsoft.NET Framework v4.x must be installed on your machine. {log="C:\WINCE800\build.log(187)"}

It appears to be caused by the .NET 4.5.1 framework installation. Unfortunately, I've tried everything I can find to uninstall (including .NET cleanup and verification tools), but the registry entries (which I can't change) remain indicating that 4.5.1 is installed. Anyone else run into this? After uninstalling and reinstalling everything, I'm completely stuck. It appears this machine is no longer able to build this type of project.

Any ideas?

Mike Yeager

Monday, July 1, 2013 2:23 PM

Answers

• After so much of feedback Microsoft managed to give side by side installation with the previous version of VS2008 with WEC7 PB.For achieving this feature they might have done a lot of work,so now for supporting the future version of VS2013 again it is going to take some time which i don't see in near future.

So only option which i see is to reinstall the desktop OS and do a fresh install.

Regards,

Prabu [eMVP]

My Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:36 AM

All replies

• After so much of feedback Microsoft managed to give side by side installation with the previous version of VS2008 with WEC7 PB.For achieving this feature they might have done a lot of work,so now for supporting the future version of VS2013 again it is going to take some time which i don't see in near future.

So only option which i see is to reinstall the desktop OS and do a fresh install.

Regards,

Prabu [eMVP]

My Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Thanks,

That's what I was afraid the answer might be.

Mike Yeager

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I had followed your blog to build my first Compact 2013 OS, but failed on .NET 4.x installation issue on Windows 7 (x64) Enterprise OS. Is the x64 Windows 7 will cause this kind of issue?

Thanks

Lu

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:15 PM
  • I had it installed on a x64 bit machine,so it should not be a problem. What if you try to install the WEC2013 platform builder. Are you getting any error? Can you post the details of the error which you are getting?

Please mark it as answer or vote as helpful if my reply helps.

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

http://prabukumar.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem on Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2013 installed alongside Visual Studio 2012. My workaround is to write the absolute path to the .NET Framework into the C:\WINCE800\public\common\oak\misc\sources.ce file by adding the following line at the top.

_DOTNET40ROOT=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

(The directory v4.0.30319 contains the .NET4.5 or .NET4.5.1 Framework although the name suggests otherwise)

It worked for me... my image compiles without errors (i also had to add the .NET directory to the PATH environment variable so that MSBuild.exe could be found).

Good luck,

CLST

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Hello,

Now the Problem is also there if you install the update form .NET4.5 to .NET4.5.1 which is offered by Windows Update.

I think it' sbetter to add following line to your platform.BAT file to get it managed:

set _DOTNET40ROOT=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

Hope this helps

Holger

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Is this going to be fixed?  I'm running VS 2013 Update 5, WEC 2013 vNext.  VS 2012 is NOT installed.

Steve

Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:57 AM
  • Yes it is fixed in the latest update 5.Also you can check out this January 2014 update which will fix this error in VS2012.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42027

Please mark it as answer or vote as helpful if my reply helps.

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

http://prabukumar.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Vinoth[MCTS] Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:52 AM