msb3421 and msb3425 after upgrade to tfs 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm doing a test upgrade from tfs 2005 to 2008 and have some problems with the buildjob.

I have upgraded the servers and tfsbuild, but NOT Visual studio, so my projects are still vs2005

I have corrected some things and now my build can start compiling, but I get som warnings and errors with the C++ projects( as usual)

MSB3421 Could not load the visual C++ component "Microsoft.VisualStudio.vcprojectEngine,version 9.0.0.0....

MSB3425 Could not resolve VC project reference [Path to vcproj file]

Any clues?

Thanks

kim

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:40 PM

Answers

•  

The build agent some times use functionality provided by Visual Studio. And the log suggest us to install one of the following:

1) install the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5,

or 2) install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

Please follow the suggestion and if this doesn't help, please let me know.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Kim

Please check this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronhallberg/archive/2007/10/30/building-vc-2005-projects-with-team-build-2008.aspx. You can configure the team build to use VC++ 2005 tool set to build your project.

And the compatibility matrix is described in http://ozgrant.com/2007/10/22/vsts-2005-2008-compatibility-matrix/

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Hi

Thanks, but it's allready implemented and it did solve some of it, but not these errors.

Extract from the build log:

Task "ResolveVCProjectOutput"
      Resolving VC project reference "e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\libs\sjutil\sjUtil32.vcproj".
    e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\Scanjour.sln : warning MSB3421: Could not load the Visual C++ component "Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a". To fix this, 1) install the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5, or 2) install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\Scanjour.sln : warning MSB3425: Could not resolve VC project reference "e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\libs\sjutil\sjUtil32.vcproj".
    Done executing task "ResolveVCProjectOutput".

Task "VCBuild"

Command:
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages\VCBuild.exe /override:"e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\Scanjour.sln.Mixed Platforms.Unicode Debug.vsprops" /useenv "e:\Build\Captia\4.3\Sources\components\sj\sj32\Sj32.tmp_Unicode Debug_Mixed Platforms.vcproj" "Unicode Debug|Win32"
      The "VCBuild" task is using "VCBuild.exe" from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages\VCBuild.exe".
      Microsoft (R) Visual C++ Project Builder - Command Line Version 8.00.50727

Linking...
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'sjutil32d.lib'

So It seems as it use the vcbuild from the correct path, but the linker is wrong?

the sjUtil32.vcproj files is in the correct folder.

Kim

Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:01 AM
  •  

The build agent some times use functionality provided by Visual Studio. And the log suggest us to install one of the following:

1) install the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5,

or 2) install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

Please follow the suggestion and if this doesn't help, please let me know.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:58 AM
  • Hi

thanks, now I through these errors.

But I needed to registrer vcprojectengine.dll as described in ths:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk/archive/2007/09/06/sdk-workaround.aspx

So my question is. why isn't this a setup requirement?

Regards

Kim

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:57 AM
  •  

This seems to be an issue with the installation. VCProjectEngine.dll should be registered during the SDK installation. I checked my box and found it's already registered and there's no need to manually run regsvr32. This topic is a little beyond the scope of this forum. If you are interested, it will be better to discuss this topic in Windows SDK forum.

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:31 AM