none
How can I automatically start Macro recording? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to start Macro recording as soon as the document opens and stop recording before the document closes. It's like recording an audit trail from when a user opens a document until he/she closes it.

Is this possible? and if so, how do I copy the macro to a text file before the document closes?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:40 AM

All replies

• Open the document then start recording. Before closing the document stop recording then copy the code to another file.

Where are you stuck and which version of Project?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Thank you Rod for your answer. However, what you've just explained is how I achieve that manually (I already know that). I want the macro recording to start automatically when a document is opened and to stop recording automatically when a document is closed.

I am using MS Word 2007.

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:57 PM
  • No Office application does that. What is it you are trying to achieve? I have never heard of anyone asking for this before. Perhaps if you tell us the ned goal we can provide a different way of achieving it.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, October 24, 2011 12:07 AM
  • I am working on a project in which we track a user's reading habits of electronic documents. So if I can start a macro recording when a user open the document an start reading and stop/save the macro when the user closes the document, then we can play back that macro to see how exactly he/she read the document.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:00 AM
  • never mind, even if what I was thinking is possible when a macro is being recorded a user cannot use the mouse inside the document window, which will affect the way a user would interact with the document normally.

I am open for other suggestions. For example, how do I capture all user issued command during a word session (including mouse movement or page movement)?
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:34 AM