none
.NET Framework 3.5 install failure (MSI error 1603) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello readers,

I've tried to install .NET Framework 3.5 to a laptop running XP Pro but unfortunately the installation fails with MSI error 1603 every time. The system has no other applications installed. I pre-installed .NET framework 2.0 and 3.0 (fetched from Microsoft Downloads) as well as updated MSI to 3.1 as requested by ClickOnce Publish page. Anyway, .NET Framework 3.5 doesn't install from a separated setup nor ClickOnce installer.

At the log file, I can find following rows:

Code Block

[01/07/08,16:23:35] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603
    [01/07/08,16:23:47] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' is not installed.

The whole vslogs.cab is available at http://www.file-upload.net/download-597603/vslogs.cab.html

Best regards,

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ville,

Please refer this MSDN forum threads,

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2422157&SiteID=1

-Cooltami

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for reply, I checked out that thread. I will try to install IIS in the development machine. Anyway, it's a bit confusing that I need to install a component that I do not need to install the framework. Wink

I'll reply tomorrow after I've tried the setup after IIS installation.

Best regards,
  • You should not need to install IIS in order to install the Framework (unless you need web-hosting functionality).

I see a series of errors in the logs you posted though.  First of all, there seems (or seemed) to be a problem with your machine.config file:

Code Block

ServiceModelReg [13:05:16:125]: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 157, position 52.

And then in a later file

Code Block

ServiceModelReg [13:47:20:828]: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Sections must only appear once per config file.  See the help topic for exceptions. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\web.config line 33)
       at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecord(String configKey, Boolean permitErrors)
       at System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.GetConfigSection(String configKey)
       at System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.UpdateRecords()
       at System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.SaveAs(String filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceUpdateAll)
       at System.Configuration.Configuration.SaveAsImpl(String filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceSaveAll)
       at System.Configuration.Configuration.Save()
       at System.ServiceModel.Install.Configuration.ConfigurationLoader.Save()
       at System.ServiceModel.Install.Configuration.ConfigurationHandlersInstallComponent.Uninstall(OutputLevel outputLevel)
       at Microsoft.Tools.ServiceModel.ServiceModelReg.PerformAction(ActionItem actionItem, Nullable`1 confirmUninstall)
       at Microsoft.Tools.ServiceModel.ServiceModelReg.Run(String[] args)

Have you been making changes to your machine.config file?  If you have a backup from before those changes were made, that might help resolve your problems.  Have you been making changes each time you try to install?  Documenting those for us here might help us figure out your problem.

But most recently, it looks like the problem is this (from dd_NET_Framework35_MSI*.txt):

Code Block

MSI (s) (54:0C) [15:53:27:593]: Tuote: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 -- Error 1935.Assembly-osan System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement,version="3.5.0.0",publicKeyToken="b77a5c561934e089",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="3.5.21022.8",culture="neutral" asennuksessa tapahtui virhe. Lisätietoja ohjeissa. HRESULT: 0x80070003. assembly-liittymä: IAssemblyCacheItem, funktio: Commit, osa: {4D4EBA6A-FCFF-4885-A152-38FD4A7EA2E7}

Error 1935.Assembly-osan System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement,version="3.5.0.0",publicKeyToken="b77a5c561934e089",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="3.5.21022.8",culture="neutral" asennuksessa tapahtui virhe. Lisätietoja ohjeissa. HRESULT: 0x80070003. assembly-liittymä: IAssemblyCacheItem, funktio: Commit, osa: {4D4EBA6A-FCFF-4885-A152-38FD4A7EA2E7}
    MSI (s) (54:0C) [15:53:27:718]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (54:0C) [15:53:27:718]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 15:53:27: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

Unfortunately I'm unable to translate this and don't immediately recognize the problem.  I'll continue to look into it.

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Hi Nick & others,

I haven't been making any changes to machine.config. The computer I'm installing framework to, was recently (yesterday) re-installed from the scratch, so there should be nothing extra. The framework is the first new setup after the recovery. The machine.config should be in its original state. Unfortunately I have no backup - as there has been nothing to back up before setup. Wink

A quick and raw translation for those Finnish sentences means that the setup of the assembly System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement failed and more information is available in help files.

I tried also the Framework setup cleanup tool twice and started to install all runtimes again from the beginning but I'll end up in the same error situation every time.

Thanks for help.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Hi all,

I have been trying to install the 3.5 Framework again from the scratch, after cleaning up the system with standard uninstall and also cleanup tool. No success yet.

Just for record, I tried also installing Visual Studio 2008 Express to the computer, but it failed during .NET Framework 3.5 installation too.

I've been planning to try a complete re-installation of the whole computer if nothing else helps, but hoping we could solve this in other way. Wink Especially because the 3.5 Framework will be an essential part of the product we're developing - the setup should work for our end-uses too.

Anyway - I'm waiting for the comments and ideas for solving this strange problem.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Can you please upload the latest vslogs.cab (similar to the first post) for the installation attempt after using the cleanup tool? 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:37 AM
  • Hello Kanchan,

The latest vslogs.cabs is available for download at http://www.file-upload.net/download-600586/vslogs.cab.html .

Best regards,

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:44 AM
  • Thanks Ville.

Although, I have not seen this error (1935) for this assembly I have seen this for another one earlier.

Can you please check if Windows Update is turned on? If yes, can you please make sure you install all the latest updates and close it, reboot and then try installing again.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:41 AM
  •  

Yes, Windows Update is turned on and latest updates were already installed, I double checked it. The installer does not provide new updates at all now. Still - no luck with the Framework installation.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hi Ville,

Was this issue resolved?

If not see if this helps.

Thanks,

Kanchan

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Hi all.. I have resloved the issue with the folowing steps

1. Run the .net cleanup utility from http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

2. Make sure there are no .Net versions from add/remove programs

3. renamed the C:\Windows\Asssembly folder and restart

4. On restart, install the .Net Framework 3.5 from the link http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

That did it for me.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:46 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by "rename" the folder? To what, or what should be renamed?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:05 PM
  • rename the folder to what?
    • Proposed as answer by Donstoned Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:06 AM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:31 AM
  • I'm not cetain as I'm in the process of attempting this myself but I assume he means rename it to Anything so that the files in there aren't found adn need to be re-downloaded/re-created by the installer to account for any corruption/etc...

Makes sense anyway :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:32 PM
  • I tried this, and similar ideas listed in other threads, and it failed every time.  What finally worked was to have our IT guy sign in with his network admin account on my computer and install .NET Framework 3.5.  Apparently my local admin account wasn't magical enough.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:22 PM

1. Run the .net cleanup utility from http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

4. On restart, install the .Net Framework 3.5 from the link http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

That did it for me.

The rename of \Assembly was the trick you rock after update I looked and there was a new folder same name replaced it. So I deleted old renamed dolder WORKS 4 ME :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:05 AM

That did it for me.

I had the same issues and V-2Saml was on the nose with the steps above.  One thing I did do before trying to install 3.5, I wrote the Net files that were installed and reinstalled from Microsoft and then proceeded to 3.5.  I am now at my final steps with  Windows update installing some updates on my Net files.  Thanks!
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:02 AM
  • I have the same issue with installing .net frame work 3.5 ( requirement of sign-in to MS BPOS,), however on this XP-Pro workstation we have QuickBooks that need .Net framwork, dose it mean I have to uninstall QB in order to clean the .Net by using .net cleanup utility from http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Thank you
    IT Support
    • Proposed as answer by Farki Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:38 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:41 AM
  • hi, your first link is not working.

If you put an available link that would be great!

thank you

Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:14 AM
  • how do you gain admin rites to rename a file?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:28 PM