none
Step Into U-SQL/C# Script While Debugging

Question

• All,

Is it possible to step into a U-SQL script and/or the corresponding C# code-behind script?  We haven't yet been successful with this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not sure what kind of issues have you encountered?

Btw there is a video describing this feature which might be helpful:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/AzureDataLake/USQL-LocalRun

Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

Xiaoyong

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Hi, the script portion does not support break points. The c# portion does. You cannot start by stepping, but if you put breakpoints in the c# code, they will hit if they are run, and the symbols are loaded correctly. At that point, it is the same as debugging normal c#.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

During compilation, the code behind will be automatically compiled to an assembly and registered.  To debug code behind, make sure you start the local run by "Debug -> Start Debugging" or F5.  Post start attaching won't work as the local run debugging need special handling.  

If the case still won't work, when the debugger is started or completed, check "bin\LocalDebug" in your project folder and you should be able to find "__codebehind_xxx.dll" and correspondent PDB files there.   If you can't, it should be a bug.  In that case, please let us know the version of VS and also ADLA Tool.

Thanks,

Yu Dong

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not sure what kind of issues have you encountered?

Btw there is a video describing this feature which might be helpful:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/AzureDataLake/USQL-LocalRun

Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

Xiaoyong

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Hi, the script portion does not support break points. The c# portion does. You cannot start by stepping, but if you put breakpoints in the c# code, they will hit if they are run, and the symbols are loaded correctly. At that point, it is the same as debugging normal c#.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

I can set a breakpoint, however it never gets hit.  It is also not disabled.  How do you make sure the symbols load correctly?  Do you have to deploy assemblies?  Or can I use the code-behind without an assembly? I've seen the video and it doesn't really go into the detail of whether we need PDBs or what the solution is.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

During compilation, the code behind will be automatically compiled to an assembly and registered.  To debug code behind, make sure you start the local run by "Debug -> Start Debugging" or F5.  Post start attaching won't work as the local run debugging need special handling.  

If the case still won't work, when the debugger is started or completed, check "bin\LocalDebug" in your project folder and you should be able to find "__codebehind_xxx.dll" and correspondent PDB files there.   If you can't, it should be a bug.  In that case, please let us know the version of VS and also ADLA Tool.

Thanks,

Yu Dong

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 3:30 AM