Bug in SettingsFlyout??

Question

• Although the docs state that you can call hide on a settings flyout, I've noticed that in some cases the command is simply ignored and in other that an exception is thrown.

I have tried calling it directly on my current settings pane as well as using:

Windows.UI.ApplicationSettings.SettingsPane.getForCurrentView().hide;

....as suggested by Kraig Brockschmidt in his excellent book on WinJS.

I have also even tried a hack/workaround suggested elsewhere on this forum of:  

WinJS.UI._Overlay.disabled = true;

Unfortunately, none of these approaches work.  In my case, i would VERY much prefer to insert a command only settings option.  I basically want to have a history command in the settings pane that then launches a full view using WinJS navigation.  

The only way I've found to do this is to create a minimal settings pane that simply gets the data then navigates to the other view ---- but this then leaves a blank settings pane open in the settings flyout, hence explaining why I am trying to find a way to close the pane.

I have also used WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout.show() -- but it is pretty inconsistent, sometime it works to at least close my pane (taking the user back to the main settings flyout, but other times it leaves my blank pane displayed.

Ideally, again, there would be an option to supply a function only settings command.

• Edited by usna91 Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:39 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:37 PM