Best way to learn Design? RRS feed

• Question

• My question is if there is preferably a written (not video) way of learning design in depth? I mean I can figure out some things on my own for sure but I figure it will jumpstart the process.

And I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on "total training" as I am doing this for fun and not for money or a job or anything. Any good books on it?

Friday, October 1, 2010 7:12 AM

All replies

• Neatly put for sure!  And it describes, if I may say so, learning as a leisure/hobby/interest... pastime rather than pressurised job or income related learning?

And, of course, that means quite a wide scope but!  There was a time when ED was in rapid change and so possibly a book would have been out of date by the time it was printed.

Assuming a book-free learning method then the following might help:

(a) regularly ask/contribute to topics on the forum

(b) some links to learning materials do exist (try the library link at the top of this page)

(c) try stuff on ED

Of the above the only effective (and fun?) way in my opinion is to use ED as in option (c) with influence from options (a) and (b).

And, my personal favourite, if you happen to install Creature House Expression 3 make sure to print out the help file (a pdf that gives creative insight to how E3 did things and translate or transpose these where doable into ED).

• Edited by BBB Friday, October 1, 2010 10:39 AM parenthesis pairing problems
    • Proposed as answer by Phroneo- Friday, October 15, 2010 8:26 PM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 10:36 AM
  • a good way to find some tutorials here in the forum

in the search box

set the name of a contributor

some good tutorials are from

Fred

BBB

Elena Malnati

Annie Ford

in some you will have links to tutorials outside the forum

hope this can help you

Friday, October 1, 2010 5:38 PM
  • here one of Fred

Friday, October 1, 2010 5:41 PM
  • There's a good series of articles in the Library section of the Expression Community web site: http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff723918%28Expression.40%29.aspx

Annie
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I like looking on microsoft msdn library for a lot of info. I have also signed up for one month of "total training" like 25 bucks and I have watched what I needed and be done with it.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Greetings,

What worked for me when I first started was exactly as BBB suggested - that , and I just 'played' with the program.  I think that making the program fun and interesting ('OK, now how do I do this?") was what helped me get over the angst of learning. 

The next best help was this community. There was no question I asked that was too simplistic. Everyone took my questions seriously and offered multiple suggestions without making me feel like a novice.

Another thing that was helpful was both the MSDN library and the Creature House help file, as deebs suggested. And if you do not know the technical name for what you're trying to accomplish, try the MSDN search function.  You'd be surprised how close you'll get to an answer.

And finally, read blogs and vector design centered web sites. Even if they're for competing products, most of the principals are the same.

Have fun.  ED is a great program.

Peace,

Phroneo
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:40 PM