none
Data Source View Relationships: Want One to Many... keeps changing to Many to One RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to relate two tables in the data source view of a Tabular Model between a fact table and dimension table.  However when I try to create, I always get the wrong direction.  Why wont it let me change the direction?  It always puts my fact table on the one side.  I did filter my fact table during dev from 400 million rows to 5000..  could this be the problem?  Why can't I make the correct relationship?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:40 PM

Answers

• Do check that you don't have duplicate values in the relationship column in the 'dimension' table. Can't see any other reason why the engine won't let you change the relationship after it has guessed incorrectly.

Expect me to help you solve your problems, not to solve your problems for you.

• Marked as answer by Computermike Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Computermike,

When you create relationship in Tabular, it will automatically choose direction, from one to many. You said fact table on one side. You need to check whether dimension table is on many side compared to fact table. If you want to change direction, you could try to set direction to both. In addition Tabular mode don't support many to many.  You could refer to Relationships for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Do check that you don't have duplicate values in the relationship column in the 'dimension' table. Can't see any other reason why the engine won't let you change the relationship after it has guessed incorrectly.

Expect me to help you solve your problems, not to solve your problems for you.

• Marked as answer by Computermike Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:12 AM
  • That was it.  I had duplicate values in my Dimension table.  Thanks Alexei!!!  :)
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:21 PM