Issues with Fn keys, suspended apps and Graphic card driver

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have several issues regarding my laptop and Windows Developer Preview.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C640.

It came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Basic, Intel Core i3 2.53GHz (4 cpu's), 4GHz of RAM and finally, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.

This info shows up in dxdiag.exe fine.

1)

With Windows Developer Preview, dxdiag.exe shows me this: ATI Mobility Radeon HD Series 5000 (Engineering Sample). Everything else is the same.

Now, I am getting all the 512Mb of graphics, but I was just wondering why is it displayed like that (the name).

I even tried downloading the driver from the Toshiba website, but it failed to install it. So I left it the way it is.

2)

The "fn" button on the keyboard works on it's own accord. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes several options work but others don't.

One fix I found was putting the laptop to sleep and wake it up again. Then the function keys work (most of them).

However, this is quite annoying.

Also, I have the following functions not working at all: F2[change power plan] - F4[Hibernate] - F8[Toggle WiFi] - F9[Toggle touch pad].

Toshiba HotKey Driver worked the first time I installed it, but after I restarted my computer, it no longer worked properly.

So now I'm running on Windows 8 drivers for the function keys.

3)

Finally:

Why is it that suspended Metro apps show up in the Alt->Tab?

Having 10 options to change through is not quite convenient.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1) this version is not officially released, so you'll have to do with that driver (it says the same for all the ATI series)
    2 ) file it using the feedback tool, it seems to be that your laptop just isn't updated for Windows8 yet, which is to be expected of a pre-beta.

3) Suspended apps are still "living" on your system. it's a new way of memory / program management used in Windows8, it will close apps on it's own if it needs more memory and normally those suspended apps should not be of any problem to you, if they are, please specify which problem.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Where I can find this feedback tool?

Also, most suspended apps show up in the Alt-Tab: Weather, Socialite, Tweet@rama...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Where I can find this feedback tool?

See this, it takes you to the Connect website where you can download the feedback tool:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key.
    ADD1-RY34-K4T4

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/38727d4d-99d2-4b88-bb22-5271c28a8f14#6a1ceb32-d519-4844-9d80-053caf6b7226

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:26 PM
  • i have also same problem. Service center also cant help with this problem. Help anyone.Thanks
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Hey Dbye,

Try installing the latest drivers and software available for your computer from your computer manufacturer's website. If a driver or a piece of software isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the it to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/software. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver/software is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If that doesn't help, please provide more details about the problem you are encountering and provide the make/model of your computer.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:51 PM