none
Local Table mirrored to Linked Table RRS feed

• Question

• I have a table that I have linked to a text file that I can export from a program to update clients etc. I am trying to use this file in a third program that only allows local tables to update from. Is there any way I can have a local table be updated by the linked table so I don't have to convert the data every time I want it to update to the third program?
    Monday, August 12, 2019 8:13 PM

All replies

• You will have to rephrase this, explaining it better:

• A table is not linked to a text file, but a text file can linked as a table
    • Where is the "local" table local? In your application or in the third program?
    • Is the third program an Access database?
    • A linked table cannot update a local table in your application, but a query can
    • What is it, that you convert?

Etc.

Gustav Brock

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:37 PM
  • You can create an new local table in the Access database containing the linked table, of the same structure as the linked table, and then execute (a) a DELETE query to empty it, and (b) an INSERT INTO (append) query to insert all rows from the linked table into the local table.  You can do this automatically at start-up say, and/or prior to executing the third application each time.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:49 PM