interactive logon from windows service? RRS feed

• Question

• A hardware developer asked my about the following scenario:

There is a card reader device attached to the pc on USB port looking for proxy card. Each user has own card and when they insert the card into the reader windows should logon exactly the same way if they typed in username/password (domain if applicable) When users remove card from reader windows should logoff.

My idea is to have a windows service installed that will communicate with the card reader device, and somehow force windows logon,logoff.

After searching forum i have found "how to force the interactive user to logoff" thread that is fine for the logoff part. Just a few extern call and works like a charm. Is this possible for logon? If yes, where are the extern functions.

I'd like it keep things simple with only some external calls, not implementing custom GINA or credential provider. Ideally it should work with Windows XP, Vista and 7

Thans: Xeon

Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:19 PM

Answers

• No, you can't get around a GINA or credential provider. That's the designed interface.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by xeondev Friday, April 23, 2010 7:14 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:13 AM