Is it possible to hint user to change keyboard language? RRS feed

• Question

• Depending on user input language.

In post #402441 is some solution, but I don't understand how it works, or if it is not working.

Not much information on InputMethod class in msdn and google.

Sorry for my English :)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:02 PM

Answers

• I would say is not easy. Theoretically you should be able to determine keyboard configuration in an elevated-trust OOB. Why do you need this?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:17 PM

All replies

• I would say is not easy. Theoretically you should be able to determine keyboard configuration in an elevated-trust OOB. Why do you need this?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:17 PM
  • We have textbox and assuming that text is typed in certain language.
    And when user is typing with wrong language, if we can determine current language, we may hint user to change it.

Impossible to change it using InputLanguage.CurrentInputLanguage, like it can be done in wpf.
    But custom COM object may be implemented for this task.

If possible to determine keyboard language in oob, then it is better than custom COM object.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:12 PM
  • I think you are facing more a labor of user education. You may build your application assuming the user's boxes are correctly configured (ie. Windows Regional Settings), and that users can be aware of that. Browsers can give you a hint about the language preferences for the user (which can be different from the Regional Settings and might states something completely different about the hardware the user is using). I suggest you leave that specific task to the IT department because, if you try to implement it, your application surely will be limited to Windows boxes and also you have to do maintenance to your communications with the Windows APIs (in all their flavors: XP, Vista, 7) and, while not being a very hard task, it will distract you a lot from the real business objectives of your application. Sorry because this surely is not the type answer your were expecting.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 9:25 AM