How many Core's are supported by Windows XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

maybe i'am not in the right forum, however, i was asked by an customer how many cores will be supported in the furture by MS WIN XP Pro.

I searched the MSN site and only found an Licensing related Document, it suggests that the number of supported Processor Cores are not limited, only the number of sockets are limited.

I'am still searching for such an document, or at least an clear statement how many Cores can be handled by Windows XP Pro, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista.

I would be glad if anyone could help me!

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:43 PM forum consolidation (From:Architecture, Tools, and Process for ISVs)
    Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:50 PM

All replies

• That sounds right to me, number of sockets and amount of cash limit number of processors. 

The more interesting question is, if you have more than say 4 cores on XP you're not going to be using it effectively, as it is a desktop operating system.  You would want to start looking at x64 operating systems so that you can have more than 3GB of memory, and make proper use of those extra cores.

What is the context of this question?  Is there some other question that needs to be answered by your answering this question, as I'd prefer to answer the real question, if you have it?  I don't want to give you bad advice.

Thanks,

Martin.

MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good! http://www.consultantvault.com
    • Proposed as answer by EHCarleton Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:05 PM