none
Is it possible to copy data(less than 1 TB) from RHEL linux server to Azure Blob storage using Import / Export service in Azure ?

Question

• Is it possible to copy data(less than 1 TB)  from RHEL linux server  to Azure Blob storage using  Import / Export service in Azure ?

If Not, Please suggest the alternatives.

Using this Import / Export service in Azure we need to use the Microsoft Import/ Export Tool, for this tool prerequisites are windows 2007 or newer verion of windows.

My Question is How to copy data from Linux flavor servers or windows 2003 servers to azure blob Storage ?  (later I can download this data to target Azure VM  server)

Consider , in my case copying over the network is not feasible ( due to bandwidth issues ). Already tried copy using SCP, SFTP, Rsync from my source server(RHEL) to target server (Oracle enterprise Linux). tried But not able to get the speed in mbps.

please let me know if you need any additional information . Thanks in Advance .

Regards,

Manjunath

Monday, August 17, 2015 6:57 AM

Answers

• Currently the Azure Import/Export tool only supports running on a Windows OS. Typically for less a 1TB of data, Import/Export service is not recommended. But since you have bandwidth constraint, you could copy data to a supported Windows OS machine and then run the Import/Export tool on that machine.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Manjunath,

Thanks for posting here!

Yes, it is possible to copy data (less than 1 TB) from RHEL Linux server to Azure Blob Storage using Import/Export service.

You can ship TBs of encrypted data via hard disk drives through FedEx to our data centers where Microsoft’s high-speed internal network is used to transfer the data to or from your blob storage account.

For more information refer the below links:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2013/11/01/announcing-windows-azure-import-export-service-preview.aspx

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-import-export-service/

Hope this answers your question!

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Monday, August 17, 2015 9:51 AM
  •  Thanks for your Answer.

But in the second link you have mentioned, for data copy, encryption, creating drive journal files we should use the Microsoft import/export tool. As per below link it wont support Linux based servers or windows 2003.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn529112.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It will only support windows 2007 or newer windows versions.

It will be very useful,if you are able to provide me the  copy tool used for Linux servers to do the following tasks.

1 copying your data to the drive,

2.encrypting the data on the drive with BitLocker, and generating the drive journal files,

Monday, August 17, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Currently the Azure Import/Export tool only supports running on a Windows OS. Typically for less a 1TB of data, Import/Export service is not recommended. But since you have bandwidth constraint, you could copy data to a supported Windows OS machine and then run the Import/Export tool on that machine.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:11 AM
  • Thanks for Answering :)

We are also planing to execute the same as last Option.Copy data to  a supported Windows OS machine and then run the Import/Export tool on that machine.

If you are aware of more Linux to Linux data migration tools, please suggest (till now tried SCP, Rsync).

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:50 AM