Need help understanding the status of RDS RRS feed

• Question

• User1075543784 posted

Hi there

One of my clients has this web application that uses <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-1" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">classic ASP</layer> technology and uses RDS (remote data services) in ASP pages to manipulate data on the client side, via some bound controls such as <input type=text>, etc.

While it is a pretty cool application, I understand that RDS has been deprecated by Microsoft.  What really is the implication of that?  Can someone please tell me?

The thing is migrating to .NET is not a feasible solution for the time being because of a tight money budget.

If we are to stay with <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-2" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">classic ASP</layer>, are there any technologies besides RDS we can use that we can manipulate data in .asp pages on the client side?

Just to make sure I get the message through, here is what's inside the HTML code:

<object classid="clsid:BD96C556-65A3-11D0-983A-00C04FC29E33" id="ADC1" height="1" width="1">
      </object>

<script language=vbscript>
    sub window_onload()
    Dim objBusinessObj
      Set objBusinessObj = CreateObject(<something>)
      ADC1.SourceRecordset = objBusinessObj.GetData(<parameters>)
    end sub
    </script>

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    CC

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:44 PM

Answers

• User1073881637 posted

.NET and web services is a more efficient way or that is the thinking.  .NET has been out 8 years, pretty long time to keep something like RDS around.   If I recall, RDS was part of a MDAC release.  Have you tried installing / determining which DLL's are necessary and trying to installing on your IIS 7 box.  There has been some other posts on RDS, I don't recall if they found a solution or not.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:42 PM
  • User1073881637 posted

http://forums.iis.net/t/1149165.aspx

Google site:forums.iis.net RDS

It'll have some results that might help.  The one link has a resolution.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:45 PM

All replies

• User1073881637 posted

.NET and web services is a more efficient way or that is the thinking.  .NET has been out 8 years, pretty long time to keep something like RDS around.   If I recall, RDS was part of a MDAC release.  Have you tried installing / determining which DLL's are necessary and trying to installing on your IIS 7 box.  There has been some other posts on RDS, I don't recall if they found a solution or not.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:42 PM
  • User1073881637 posted

http://forums.iis.net/t/1149165.aspx

Google site:forums.iis.net RDS

It'll have some results that might help.  The one link has a resolution.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:45 PM