How do I overcome the column entry length limitation of 256 characters? RRS feed

• Question

• I often have occasion where my metadata entry in a document library will be more than 256 characters, and it will not let me save if. I get a message saying that I cannot save to this column more than 256 characters. If I set the "Allow unlimited length in document libraries", I get a message saying "Columns of long text are not allowable in many programs....."

Any suggestions of a way around this dilemma?

Thanks!

Robert Douglas rdouglas1@gmail.com
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try using multiple line of text columns.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Hi,can you paste your schema xml of the coulmn and you can use the multiple line of text column type for your requirement.
    anil, Mark as Answer if it helps..
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

It’s a limitation in the Office client UI. If the column is never going to be used in Word, Excel or other Office client applications, please feel free to click OK on the pop-up message when you set “Allow unlimited length in document libraries”. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/dc9ed2d6-ca85-49a1-aed5-f66467cc945b .

But if the column is going to be used in Office client applications, you have to reduce the characters, otherwise you will lose some information.

Thanks.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:24 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:37 AM