none
Call WCF web services with .NET CF 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to call a WCF web service from a .NET CF 2.0 app?
    With 3.5 the proxy classes is generated for me using the NetCFSvcUtil.exe tool.
    But it is generating 3.5 code so I can not use it in my current project. Is it possible to translate the code to 2.0 somehow?

Thanks

Ray
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Ray, I believe that System.ServiceModel DLL isn't included in .NET 2.0 framework. You could construct a RESTful WCF service that uses POX (plain old XML) for communication - that way you could trigger operations on the service and parse results without a problem.

Regards,
    Stipe-Ivan
    • Proposed as answer by amarnet Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Raymond Holmboe Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Ray, I believe that System.ServiceModel DLL isn't included in .NET 2.0 framework. You could construct a RESTful WCF service that uses POX (plain old XML) for communication - that way you could trigger operations on the service and parse results without a problem.

Regards,
    Stipe-Ivan
    • Proposed as answer by amarnet Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Raymond Holmboe Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:49 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Hi Ray,

I agree with Stipe that using REST style WCF service will help for your scenario. Since REST style service can be consumed by any client which can issue standard HTTP  GET/POST request. Client platform like silverlight, ajax, CF can consume REST style service conveniently.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:32 AM