none
Outlook addin developpement, deploiement and... disappear. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Using VS2010 Pro on Windows Seven 7 x64 , I developp an addin for Outlook 2010 x64. After a number "run" from VS 2010, my addin always appear as "disable" in Outlook. It's a "simple" addin with a ribbon and a sigle toolbar (I follow the good M.Farmer tutorial at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mcsuksoldev/archive/2010/10/01/building-and-deploying-an-outlook-2010-add-in-part-1-of-2.aspx).

So, the cycle look like :

Modify code, run from VS 2010 (sometimes with break point). VS 2010 deploy addin and launch Outlook 2010).After arround 35 ou 40 times, the addin never appears in Outlook. It state is always as "inactive". I also try to manualy remove using using addin menu from Outlook (COM component, ... remove).

If I take the addin solution (sln) to another computer with same config (vs 2010 / Outlook 2010), It work again, but again, after 35 ou 40 run, the same problem happen.

So, is Outlook use a kind of "bad addin" blacklist ? Is there a way to fully cleanup addin installation may be in the registry or elsewhere ?

Thnaks.

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:19 AM

Answers

• First, never use the "Stop debugging" command in VS. Instead, close the host application. Second, there are really many reasons why an add-in can fire an exceptiion at startup: say, you don't deploy some assembly - interop, localized resources or dependency assembly - and when .NET loads the add-in, the assembly is missing. Another variant: an assembly, on which your add-in relies, isn't installed on the target. One more: the user doesn't have permissions to the folder where the add-in files are located. Anyway, I wouldn't think the add-in that fails to install "correct".

In the Disabled Item list, you select your add-in and choose "Enable" to re-enable it. this doesn't require removing the add-in.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, July 29, 2011 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:47 AM
  • So, is Outlook use a kind of "bad addin" blacklist ? Is there a way to fully cleanup addin installation may be in the registry or elsewhere ?

Thnaks.

Actually there is a blacklist.

I've done the mistake of clicking "Remove" from the COM Add-ins list myself a couple of times and it has cost me hours of Googling and frustration. Delete all registry values from the following key, and you will clear the black list:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems

(If you have an earlier version of Outlook, replace 14 with the version number)

I get back from holyday and my customer have the same issue. My Outlook addin (2010) has work for around 10 days and then, stop load in Outlook. My co-worker has just change the addin GUID and redeploy in my customer computer, then it work (for the moment).So, I will try to clean these registry entry next time my addin failed and try to find the bug in my addin. Thanks for the tips.

• Marked as answer by Serge.Chess Monday, April 16, 2012 1:11 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

An add-in does not load when it encounters an unhandled exception at startup. Also, if you close the host application when debugging the add-in, the host application may move it to the Disabled Items list.

Andrei Smolin
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Thanks for awnser.

I also try this :

Enabled "developper mode" in Outlook to see error message (unhandling exception or other). Seem there is no Exception at startup phase. I also try to build a setup package from VS2010. and check/remove the addin from Outlook 2010. So I use my installation pack and again, my addin appear as disable in Outlook. I use the same setup on a fressh Windows 7 + Outlook 2010 32btis (on a vritual machine) and the addin correctly appear. I don't understand what happen. At this time, I always use "automatic" way for register addin (while running from vs2010 or generate a setup package (also from vs2010)), but again, I don't understand why this "automatic deploiement" work 35 or 40 time and then stop, even if the addin is correct.

"if you close the host application when debugging the add-in, the host application may move it to the Disabled Items list".

Agree, and It happen, but I hope that is not a forever list. So, if I manually remove the addin from Outlook 2010, I suppose that again I can deploy the same addin ? 

Thanks for help.

Monday, July 18, 2011 8:15 PM
  • First, never use the "Stop debugging" command in VS. Instead, close the host application. Second, there are really many reasons why an add-in can fire an exceptiion at startup: say, you don't deploy some assembly - interop, localized resources or dependency assembly - and when .NET loads the add-in, the assembly is missing. Another variant: an assembly, on which your add-in relies, isn't installed on the target. One more: the user doesn't have permissions to the folder where the add-in files are located. Anyway, I wouldn't think the add-in that fails to install "correct".

In the Disabled Item list, you select your add-in and choose "Enable" to re-enable it. this doesn't require removing the add-in.

Andrei Smolin
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, July 29, 2011 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:47 AM
  • So, is Outlook use a kind of "bad addin" blacklist ? Is there a way to fully cleanup addin installation may be in the registry or elsewhere ?

Thnaks.

I've done the mistake of clicking "Remove" from the COM Add-ins list myself a couple of times and it has cost me hours of Googling and frustration. Delete all registry values from the following key, and you will clear the black list:

Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:17 AM

Thnaks.

I get back from holyday and my customer have the same issue. My Outlook addin (2010) has work for around 10 days and then, stop load in Outlook. My co-worker has just change the addin GUID and redeploy in my customer computer, then it work (for the moment).So, I will try to clean these registry entry next time my addin failed and try to find the bug in my addin. Thanks for the tips.

• Marked as answer by Serge.Chess Monday, April 16, 2012 1:11 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:19 PM