none
Cloud Cache or not RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone using Cloud Cache?

When I set this up a while ago, I was experiencing delayed logins (it would hang on on "please wait while FSLogix Services...).

Given how critical it is to have a reliable SMB server environment, I am thinking of re-enabling Cloud Cache once more.

Since the VHD file is cached local to the C: drive of the FSL server (in my case Server 2019 using Citrix XenApp) you would think the performance should be faster.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The other recommendation seems to build a Scale Out File server instead.

• Edited by Icebun Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:13 PM

All replies

• @Icebun, With the VHD file cached locally, you will see some improved performance in some scenarios. Reads should be serviced very quickly in that scenario. Writes still need to be written out to the network locations, and using CCD usually means that you're writing significantly more data, since you're writing it to multiple locations.

For example, some people see that when two users are downloading lots of data, like a large set of OneDrive data, all of this data has to be downloaded, and then uploaded multiple times for CCD. So this process can be slower, but then once the data is cached, the performance improvements are visible.

I think it's worth trying, but it's very dependent on your real world requirements and environment.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:38 PM
  • @Icebun, With the VHD file cached locally, you will see some improved performance in some scenarios. Reads should be serviced very quickly in that scenario. Writes still need to be written out to the network locations, and using CCD usually means that you're writing significantly more data, since you're writing it to multiple locations.

For example, some people see that when two users are downloading lots of data, like a large set of OneDrive data, all of this data has to be downloaded, and then uploaded multiple times for CCD. So this process can be slower, but then once the data is cached, the performance improvements are visible.

I think it's worth trying, but it's very dependent on your real world requirements and environment.

Thanks for the detailed response.

In non CCD environments, I believe the VHD is written to immediatley.

With CCD, is the VHD only written to at log off, or is there some sort of frequency of update ?

Reason I ask is that we have users that "disconnect" rather than log off their remote sessions and I wanted to understand the state of the VHD at any one time.

I will be using 2 SMB servers and for me it's trying to introduce some fault tolerance without adding any reliability issues as a result.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:02 AM
  • @Icebun, while using CCD, the data is being flushed out continuously, but depending on the speed of the connections to your SMB servers, it could get backed up. The FSLogix service will try to flush the local changes to the remote systems about twice a second, IIRC. So on a fast connection your disks should stay very up-to-date.

That being said, I would recommend some kind of a policy that logs users out after they are inactive for a period.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:26 PM