Locking down my development machine that has Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Once again, I can't find the proper forum  to ask this question....

Before I remove Windows 10 Enterprise from my new box and install Windows 2012 Server, is there anyway I can locked this Win10 box down so that Explorer/MSN, OneDrive stops communications with the outside world, none of which I enabled?  

There is no uninstalled option for Onedrive and now I see the File Browsers (Explorer) is now persistently connecting to the outside "MSN" world, and the new browser, Edge, well, I can't stop it from giving me the news and "videos' on startup (home page) which is chewing up my business line bandwidth and drastically slows down the machine!

This will be my new development box with "secret projects" and all that, and I don't wish it  to be open to MSN/Microsoft via OneDrive or Explorer!  My god, it connect to all sorts of IPs over all the world even when the machine sits idle doing nothing! Don't I have  the right to disable this?  Or is that lost?   I did say "no" to all the "Customer Experience" stuff during installation. Does "No" mean "No" anymore?  Even for the "enterprise" version of Win10?    

I installed a Win2012 VM and I don't see this terrible erosion of privacy so that is enough for me to move my development away from a Win10  environment.   What are my options here short of replacement it?

Thanks

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. http://www.santronics.com

Friday, April 22, 2016 3:42 PM

All replies

• You need to ask in technet forums. MSDN is for helping people in writing software and you are not writing any to solve your issue mentioned here.  

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, April 22, 2016 8:47 PM
  • Hi Mr. Jiang,

Actually, I am writing Hosting software, and I need to learn all there is about locking down the newer Windows OS machines for customers who will be running them.   I need to know what sort of bandwidth and security connection issues are possible, i.e. are there any potential Threat Entry Points when your own product is sold on the basis of being a highly secured product line.  So Mr. Jiang, a possible answer is either YES or NO or even MAYBE on whether Windows 10 can be locked down for not only development purposes and for customer operations.     Maybe others with experience may suggest that Windows 10 "is not" a good development platform, but perhaps for testing since MS is intent in keeping it connected to their "MS/Windows" world wide data collection and mining network WITHOUT an OPTION to turn it off and/or disable/remove it.

If there is another forum better suited to discuss "Locking Down Windows 10 Security," do you have a suggested link?

Thank you.

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. http://www.santronics.com

Saturday, April 23, 2016 5:05 PM
  • For lockdown Windows 10, visit https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

But it is not your job, it is your customer's IT's job to lock down the system. you can ask them to send you their group policy so you can replicate their security settings in your testbox.

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, April 23, 2016 6:33 PM